A request for guitarlele neck dimensions

Greetings folks,
I wonder if anyone could help me out with a couple of dimensions for a guitarlele build? I am at the drawing out a plan stage, and have the nut width (42mm) and scale length (17”), but I’m struggling to find a width of neck at 14th fret (body join), or string spacing at saddle.
could anyone suggest what these might be, or a ballpark idea?

Many thanks,
Adam
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16757
    What bridge are you using?   How many strings does it have?

I would draw the known dimensions out full size from the front, should give you all you need
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1543
    Hi Wez,
    Its an acoustic, 6 string guitar/ukulele crossover, so the bridge can be any size as I still have to make it.
    I understand that i can get most of the internediate dimensions from my drawing (currently full size with body outline, nut, scale length with 14fr body join), but i dont know where to start for the string spacing at the saddle, and therefore the taper of the neck.
    Cheers,
    Adam
    I would go for a fairly standard guitar string spacing.   Most fall between 52-56mm E to e at the bridge.   

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    http://www.stevereynoldsinstruments.com/blog/?p=771

Check this build out, different scale length (20"), but may provide you with some other dimensions that you're looking for.
    Thanks for the advice chaps - one of these days i'll complete a build without your help, WezV!
    That link is excellent, and the little sound clip superb.

Cheers,
    Adam

P.s. I now have the hornbeam b&s thicknessed to about 2mm, and the top simillar. The hornbeam looks stunning.
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    tFB Trader
    I used to make short scale Telecaster's, 18.6mm scale length. I used the standard telecaster bridge and pickup, no neck pickup, the nut width was standard Fender 42mm. the widest part of the neck pocket was 55.8mm. The idea being I could use off-the-shelf hardware. If you draw the instrument out to scale ( as @WezV said) it will automatically give you the width of the neck as it enters the body, you can make your templates from that drawing. 

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

Cheers  GSPBASSES, but its an acoustic uke im making, and im also making the bridge. So there's no 'off the shelf' part. 
    I did as you suggested when i built last years' mini guitars and it worked well, and i'll do the same for the short-scale bass im also building for christmas :) But the uke is different

Cheers.
    Adam
    The answer is the same whether you are using or making a bridge.... choose a standard guitar string spacing and draw it out
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    tFB Trader
    I did realise you were making an acoustic, my point being by drawing the instrument out full-scale should give you the measurements you're looking for. .If you click on the link below will give you all you need to know.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

Thanks - i suspect i was over-thinking it, assuming that it was going to be something different...
    Cheers,
    Adam
    GSP - thank you for the link, and apologies if i misunderstood, but thats for a 4 string tenor, rather than a 6 string instrument - i take it a little geometry and extrapolation to 6 strings is all i need to do?
    My original post was because i didnt know what the string spacing at the saddle would be  and i didnt realise that a standard guitar width would suffice.

Again, your patient advice is greatly appreciated.

Adam