Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

your best Gilmour setup?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• for the red strat era,
    a DG20 set would be the best start
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    edited September 2018
    This thread has prompted me to listen to Rattle that Lock.

This is what I have learned:

1. Start with a big bend.
    2. Play something pentatonicish with a 9th or some other note thrown in.
    3. Play an even bigger bend just when you thought 1 was a big one.
    4. Then either do a decending pattern until you run out of strings or do some ascending bending until you run out of frets.

Tonewise? Not a clue.  Very long cable and a compressor?

Edit: I forgot the rake or staccato bit option. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Always amazes me when people take the piss out of musical influences. Are you seriously that good a guitarist, and have made it so far in life that you can deduce one man's career down to a couple of bends and a rake, FFS?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Always amazes me when people take the piss out of musical influences. Are you seriously that good a guitarist, and have made it so far in life that you can deduce one man's career down to a couple of bends and a rake, FFS?
    Wisdom awarded.
  • I think the problem here is that more than enough of us love Dave Gilmours playing - note choice, phrasing and tone. That it means there will always be some who will despise it. It doesn't make us right or them wrong - it just is....  

• Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    I don't think you need to have the ability of some player to be able to have an opinion on their style or sound.

I quite like Gilmour, although I'm not a huge Floyd listener, so he's quite a long way down my list of influences, but I don't really agree with @Veganic 's take on his playing

But, there are other players who have a thousand times the technical and musical ability that I do, and whose playing I really don't like, or find formulaic or boring. I'd still want to be able to say that, even if I can't play as well as they can.
    If you mean me then if I can have a second to explain myself? Ta.  I thought it was an affectionate dig at David "the muff" Gilmour.  I love his playing.  Danny's excellent playing above pretty much follows the template until it goes a bit metal at the end.  The tone isn't especially Gilmourish (to me) but the playing is. Shaun's, on the other hand, excellent though it is, is less DG as it has omitted the BIG bend and goes for the hypnotic repeated pattern over the descent vs ascent finale. Something that I don't recall hearing from David "God's guitarist" Gilmour.

(There is more to it than that though. You also need to play over minor chords.)

I'd do a smiley but someone will just interpret it as passive aggressive /end sulk.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    Heh.
  • Veganic said:
    If you mean me then if I can have a second to explain myself? <snip>
    Did you mean me meaning you? Hope not. Just pointing out the obvious, that any player considered great by 90% of the world will have 10% who don't agree and some of those will positively hate their playing because they really don't get the fuss. It doesn't make the 10% wrong or evil, just different. 

• Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited October 2018
    Sorry, I'm clearly having a bad day. I just don't get people who complain about music or musicians they don't like (@veganic, I don't mean you, your post was easy to quote). If I saw a post about that Landreth fella, I wouldn't go out of my way to visit it and comment on it, let alone slag his playing off - I'd just go find something I do like and be proactive somewhere else. No doubt, he's awesome, but his music doesn't interest me and neither would a 2 or 3 page thread about him.

It's a hangover from recent events on here, I guess, where people have taken their thoughts way too far, to the forums detriment. Sorry.

Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean you always need to share it.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Maybe you'll see the lighter side if you listen to this:

Recorded straight into Soundcloud,  no overdubs or dropins.

:)
  • Veganic said:
    Maybe you'll see the lighter side if you listen to this:

Recorded straight into Soundcloud,  no overdubs or dropins.

:)
    Hah!  =)