Vintage VS6 Bigsby

Good afternoon all,

I’ve had a look around and seen a few videos of people modding SG replicas to add a bigsby, however I’m struggling to find any concrete material to identify which bigsby conversion kit I’d need to do the same to my Vintge VS6. 

I watched a video yesterday and the guy added a bigsby using a vibramate conversion (I think it was) removing the bridge, adding a kit which negates the need to drill any additional holes, and anchors the bigsby using the strap nut at the base of the guitar. 

I wonder Der if anyone’s successfully added a full length bigsby to a Vintage VS6?

thanks,
Jack
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DannyPDannyP Frets: 1682
    Some VS6s have the law-suit avoiding off-set shape, meaning the strap button flap on a B7 might not be able to sit flush if you have one of those.

A Bigsby B5 plus a Vibramate is an expensive mod for an affordable guitar.

Might be cheaper to sell it and buy one of these:

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Vintage-VS6V-Reissued-Cherry-Red/2EXQ?origin=product-ads&campaign=PLA+Shop+-+GENERIC&adgroup=GENERIC&medium=vertical_search&network=google&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=112670d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=515482999576&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlqLdBRCKARIsAPxTGaUQBzDKATv_CXZoF181a8SBpaOUC8Cwswci05LGAbFvNXRJB4kZkBoaAgM4EALw_wcB
  • Thanks very much for the reply. My VS6 is probably about 15 years old, so i'm not sure if it's the pre or post off-set model. But i hear what you're saying regarding the cost to do this.

I am looking to add a guitar to my collection, but was thinking that i'd like one of my guitars to have a tremolo. Maybe the best option would be to use it as an opportunity to ensure the new guitar has a tremolo. Fender Jazzmaster or Jaguar were 2 of my shortlisted choices, so that probably works out for the best to be honest.

Thanks for the honest feedback!
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2939
    tFB Trader
    Another option would be the Les Trem II, if the tail stud spacing is standard - those are (or were) about £55-60 or so and dead easy to slap on. I did end up going roller bridge when I had one, with a bone nut, it was good at coming back in tune after that.
    The range is similar to a Bigsby and the feel pretty similar to the non-tension bar ones like the B5.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1389
    Jonesy9 said:
    Thanks very much for the reply. My VS6 is probably about 15 years old, so i'm not sure if it's the pre or post off-set model. But i hear what you're saying regarding the cost to do this.
    easy to tell - is it the same shape as a gibson sg or is it like a wonky version of the sg?

unless you love the neck and are desperate to fit an expensive vibrato, best to get a squier jag or something
  • Thanks 2 bills, the Les trem is definitely a good shout. My VS6 is definitely the same shape as an SG, certainly not a wonky version. But you’re all right. Not much point spending so much money on a VS6. 

The Squier jag is an interesting thought. I’ve looked through reviews of Fender vs Squier jag. I’d love to have a fender but my skill level probably only warrants spending Squier money I suppose. 

Thanks again all!