Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Short people and guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23129
    edited September 2018
    carlos said:
    Why do you think Nuno's sig guitar is significantly smaller-bodied than the average superstrat?
    He's 5'8" so short but not a dwarf. I measure my Nuno guitar and it's only 1" thinner at the "hips" than my Ibanez RG although it does look smaller (hey. Satriani is also 5'8"). OTOH, the Ibanez RG looks too small when Vai holds one, so I think you shouldn't give a toss of how it looks and just play whatever you want!
    He may say he's 5'8", but I'm 5'7" wearing Converse and he was wearing boots with quite a heel on them...and I was slouching:

I remember when he first appeared in the guitar mags he said he'd put together his (pre-Washburn) guitar because he's a smaller guy... and I thought 5'8" isn't really that small.  To me it's quite tall....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cue the picture of pj Harvey playing a firebird
    You’re welcome.

https://i.imgur.com/aXDsUtl.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cue the picture of pj Harvey playing a firebird
    You’re welcome.

https://i.imgur.com/aXDsUtl.jpg
    Fit
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3905
    57Deluxe said:
    stick to a LP Jr and you will keep your cool
    Yes, this is a great shout too.
  • This brings to mind @bigjon and his tiny guitar. :) 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Randy Rhoads was 5’5 and pretty fucked off with the silver Concord dwarfing him. The first black and gold RR was then created to take his stature into account.
  • Gordon Smith's are smaller than Les Pauls
  • Gordon Smith's are smaller than Les Pauls
    Did you read that in a public toilet cubicle?
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4729
    edited September 2018
    I'm only 5'7" and have no problem with my Epi Sheraton II (335 shape & size).

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • I'm 5'3" and play all the usual models and enjoy all of them, but I've got a duesenberg Caribou and it's hollowbody but it fits me perfectly!
    Also, aren't the Collings 335 & 330 versions smaller bodied?
  • HushHush Frets: 21
    I'm 5'11'' but don't give it a thought, enjoy all the guitars, you want no matter what standard you play, enjoy the variety of guitars your fortunate enough to buy and play. Life's to short, if it feels good to you, enjoy it, Without giving it another thought.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    SteveRobinson said:

Steve Marriott was 5'5". Here he is with a White Falcon

That’s not a White Falcon, it’s a White Penguin. It just *looks* like a Falcon because he’s so small :).

I’m 5’6” and I find Rickenbackers - even the bigger ones - very comfortable because the necks are set relatively far into the body. Gretsch Jets and Les Pauls are OK size-wise, but Strats and Teles are a little too big really - SGs would be a good size but the neck is too far to the left. PRS 22-frets (not 24s) are also good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    I'm 5,8 ..if been using a 335 lately cos it hides my man boobs..they sort of hangover with a strat :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7802
    edited September 2018
    I also think the PRS mira is a brilliant improvement over an SG if you like the smaller body and weight, similar feel to a LP jnr DC.
  • chris45 said:
    Being 5’5 and skinny it’s depressing that some of the coolest guitars look ridiculous on me.  I would LOVE a Firebird but they look as long as I am wide.  Similarly almost all semi or hollow body Gretschs look bigger than me; I would love a White Falcon but would look more Malcolm Young than Billy Duffy.  Any suggestions on less common guitar shapes that suit is vertically challenged?

Try the MM SIlhouette special / Axis as suggested earlier - smaller headstock design /  silo body size  = overall approx three inches shorter than a strat as an example - the necks are generally stupid easy to play too ..  
    I see your photo features a LP - does that work for you ? 
  • Musicman guitars are quite small. SG?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    Stephen Stills was 5ft 6 when he was younger.

This is true of most people...
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3465
    There's always these?