Can anyone help date a 335?

What's Hot
randellarandella Frets: 4269
Have just been given (temporary) custody of my dad’s 335.  We seem to remember the chap he bought it from said it was either a ‘70 or ‘71.  That was 25 years ago though!  The salient points are the purple ‘Union Made’ sticker, the ‘Made in USA’ stamp on the back of the headstock, and the volute.

Key points:
- Cherry red (very faded now)
- Small block inlays on rosewood board
- Tune-o-matic and trapeze tailpiece
- Nickel-cover humbuckers, embossed Gibson logo on each
- Headstock logo has dot over the ‘i’
- Kluson tuners, plastic green ‘tulip’ buttons
- Six-digit serial number, begins ‘60’

It’s a great guitar.  Could probably do with a new nut which I’m simply not going to have done on someone else’s guitar.  It’s lovely and resonant, the pickups sound great.  The neck takes 10 minutes’ getting used to - it’s a real baseball bat, very narrow.

Dead chuffed to have it for a while, I’ve missed playing it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I’m pretty sure embossed pickup covers were only fitted in 1972.

Pics would help.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14417
    tFB Trader
    The 60 serial number is a very inaccurate period for Gibson  - From about 1970 to 1975 it is a very poor set of info based on serial number - If you can read the pot dates that will help but a pain to acquire this info on a 335 - As @Ossyrocks rocks indicate the embossed covers would indicate circa 1972 - Most of the other info supplied is generic to a period rather than a specific year

In all honesty if it is a 1971/72 or 73 it will make little/no difference to its value or desirability - so enjoy it for what it is
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Take it to a nice restaurant and buy it flowers.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    Long shot but if you could get a mirror into the cavity and see a serial number on the pots, those are good indicators of an ES' vintage (providing they've not been changed). 

If there's a 71 or 72 in the pot code then at least that's the age of those. As the advice above has indicated already the embossed covers were predominantly '72 only barring a few exceptions (late '71/ early 73 etc). 

I have had a couple of these guitars from 71 and 72 and they were great. Enjoy.

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• randellarandella Frets: 4269
    The 60 serial number is a very inaccurate period for Gibson  - From about 1970 to 1975 it is a very poor set of info based on serial number - If you can read the pot dates that will help but a pain to acquire this info on a 335 - As @Ossyrocks rocks indicate the embossed covers would indicate circa 1972 - Most of the other info supplied is generic to a period rather than a specific year

In all honesty if it is a 1971/72 or 73 it will make little/no difference to its value or desirability - so enjoy it for what it is
    Thanks for the info - interesting stuff. I know there’s not much else I can do to date it (lol @martinw ).  I’m not fussed about its cash value, its a nice original guitar and I love playing it.

Just curiosity really, I know a lot about Strats but next to nothing about Gibbos and particularly nothing about the 335 :)

I need to sort the bridge, the retaining wire rattles like hell.
    edited September 2018
    shugz said:
    Long shot but if you could get a mirror into the cavity and see a serial number on the pots, those are good indicators of an ES' vintage (providing they've not been changed). 

If there's a 71 or 72 in the pot code then at least that's the age of those. As the advice above has indicated already the embossed covers were predominantly '72 only barring a few exceptions (late '71/ early 73 etc). 

I have had a couple of these guitars from 71 and 72 and they were great. Enjoy.

Cheers
    Hugh
    Ooh that’s an idea, I wonder if we have one of those dentist’s mirrors kicking about.  If not I bet I can get one for pennies off Amazon.

What I can see of the wiring looks factory original, to me at least.

Ta!
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    It's not the easiest of geetars to get in about the wiring but maybe the mirror and a decent light might get some info. The law of sod tends to suggest that the solder used will be over the pot code as well but hope I'm wrong!

The rattly wire is common on the bridge. I tended to remove it or try and pinch it in a bit and some candle wax or not too aggressive adhesive (Not superglue style, more plumber thread glue style) was enough. Failing that just buy a newer ABR and there's loads decent to choose from.

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• martinw said:
    Dammit you win :lol:
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16793
    You can normally get at least one pot close enough to the f-hole with your fingers.... just don’t try taking the whole loom out
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    Have you tried messaging Mike at @ATB_Guitars - I don't know if he looks in, but if he does, I reckon he's yer man. 

Call me Dave.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    martinw said:
    I knew someone would have beaten me to it :) 
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    These are remarkably handy for getting to where a mirror can't - http://amzn.eu/d/e5aQ9Wd

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    @Gagaryn you beat me to it. I've got one of these with an LED light option

For the money it is quite decent, obviously not broardcast quality but good for most purposes including looking inside guitars.

Thanks loads everyone for the help with this, have plenty to go on.  Here's a pic of the offending article for reference:

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom