Longer screws for Dunlop Straplock Buttons?

What's Hot
Been trying to put my usual locks onto my new R8, but the screws that are on the original buttons are massive!

On a cheaper guitar I'd do what I've always done; couple of bits of toothpick and a drop of wood glue, but I'm hesitant to do that on this for obvious reasons. None of the DIY stores I've tried stock any of these screws at all (pan head, trim head and small head are the various names I've heard them called) and the normal advice for replacing them seems to be to go direct to Dunlop. Sadly, they've not replied to my query, and I've seen nothing to suggest they offer a longer screw than the standard one anyway. 

Any other ideas? Not having locks on this guitar is not something I am prepared to risk and all my straps have Dunlop connectors on. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2323
    I gave up on this malarkey a while back and now just use rubber washers (Grolsch etc).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited September 2018
    Schaller style rather than Dunlop, but I just received a pair of these for my new ES335 (strap buttons only) from the US http://www.mojoaxe.com/. Speedy delivery. I’ve only used it for the larger rear button but it’s the same length and core diameter as the original screw and pitch looks the same. It ends up slightly deeper into the guitar than the original as the screw sits deeper within the Schaller style strap button.

Actually, I have an R8 too and (before I really thought too much about it) used an original Schaller strap button with the medium length Schaller screw. This is longer/ goes in a bit further than the original rear screw but the diameter is less. I didn’t use matchsticks or glue. It feels solid and I’m pretty confident it won’t fail. Tempted to switch it for the spare MojoAxe screw now though.
  • Well...I finally got a reply from Dunlop. It's not ideal. As in, it's complete crap! 

"Unfortunately that screw is proprietary, and it's the only size we make.

I know it wouldn't be ideal to have to do the toothpick/matches trick but I do think it would be the safest way.

Hope that helps!" 

No. No it doesn't. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72669
    I would always use toothpicks and glue whenever fitting a straplock to the rear button on a Les Paul. It’s too important to risk it coming loose, and it’s not a bodge -  it’s an upgrade.

By the way, put the glue in first, *fill* the hole with toothpicks, then put the screw in immediately. That will make it rock solid when the glue sets.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein