NVGD, Finished sorting it. Pic heavy.

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3514
So moving on swiftly from arse biscuits I thought a new thread for this would be good, So here is what I have found out , Its an Aria 1723TD, it appeared only in the 1972 catalogue. The serial number however points to it being a 71. 

The body is 5 parts on the back capped with what seems to be 4 on the front, it could well be 3 , its hard to see as the grain is so well matched. Both the back and front are of equal thickness.

3 Way switch for three pickups, tone controls for neck and middle, 1 volume.
Tone pots are 500k but the volume is 1M.

Pickups are not stamped but probably Maxon.

Trem block is a big lump of a thing, doesnt feel cast, about 1/2 a kilo in weight.

Neck is all one piece, its a bit like my Baja neck, rounded C, not too chunky but not slim either. It feels rounded on the edges of the fretboard, very cumfy, I think 7.5 radius, really tiny little frets, the nut will need doing. It feels weird to me, ive never played a 7.5 before so that's probably what it is. Tuners are really nice, really really nice, 

The finish has darkened to a lovely honey colour over the years, parts of it are darker than others but in a good way, a few bumps here and there. Plastics are weird, pick guard looks beige but almost green, in photos though it looks white.

I put my last set of new D'Addarios on it and the e string unwound itself from the ball, so its got 5 strings on it, but it doesnt sound too bad, needs the pickup height adjusted cos its all a bit all over the place sound wise, intonation still needs doing and the action may need a lift, but so far so good.

https://i.imgur.com/4qiCRIR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/x1aiwzJ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/melJGUR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ol7vE3C.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/QjPxDpe.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yzlJoNp.jpg

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3514
    This is the 72 catalogue I was given on Facebook.
    https://i.imgur.com/V1oU5MK.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/R2kzdm3.jpg

Oh, and the screws holding the scratch plate on were made of chocolate , so I need new screws!

1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That’s very nice! :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Interesting pot values for a Strat...
    Ive adjusted the pickup height and it sounds lovely, real nice clarity even with the tone rolled back. The 7.25 threw me off a bit, never played one before, but that neck plays itself, its like playing a feather duster! That weighs almost 10lbs. Is that how routing usually looks on an Ash body? Its as if they put as much effort into finishing the routed bits as they did the rest of it.
    edited March 2019
    Right then guys, lived with this for a good while now, love it to bits, but it doesn't sound like a start, but it isn't a strat anyway, but it looks like one, so, can it be made to sound like one? I have a 5 way switch that actually fitted in it that I got from another forum member (thank you) so my guess is the pickups? Would putting Fender pickups in it give it more of a strat quack sound?

Or do I just need to buy a strat? Cant be doing with playing Sweet home Alabama on a none stratty strat.
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    Get some Oil City Stone Tones and chuck em in. It will sound like a Strat with the right pickups and maybe some different pots...

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    edited March 2019
    A pickup swap and a general electronics overhaul and It’ll Be sounding like the real thing in no time.
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    robgilmo said:
    Ive adjusted the pickup height and it sounds lovely, real nice clarity even with the tone rolled back. The 7.25 threw me off a bit, never played one before, but that neck plays itself, its like playing a feather duster! That weighs almost 10lbs. Is that how routing usually looks on an Ash body? Its as if they put as much effort into finishing the routed bits as they did the rest of it.
    10lbs, wow that’s heavier than my 1979 Fender Stratocaster .
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3633
    robgilmo said:
    10lbs, wow that’s heavier than my 1979 Fender Stratocaster .
    That's heavier than my Les Paul.  :o  
    It is a big lump, but it is from the 70's I guess. Im not sure how far I want to go with this, its got a new bone nut fitted and the sound is getting there but Im hankering (gassing) for an Epi Korina Explorer or Gold Top Lp and its a strict one in one out situation. Or I guess I could case it and put it under the bed!

Will fender pick ups fit a 70's Japanese guitar? Id ideally like to use the original covers if I could.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7111
    robgilmo said:
    It is a big lump, but it is from the 70's I guess. Im not sure how far I want to go with this, its got a new bone nut fitted and the sound is getting there but Im hankering (gassing) for an Epi Korina Explorer or Gold Top Lp and its a strict one in one out situation. Or I guess I could case it and put it under the bed!

Will fender pick ups fit a 70's Japanese guitar? Id ideally like to use the original covers if I could.
    I still curse the day I had to take my absolutely stonking epi explorer korina into cash converters

one ton I got, one poxy ton
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    Id have given you at least one ton and some more extra tonnage for one. Proper gassing for one as a modding base.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7111
    robgilmo said:
    Id have given you at least one ton and some more extra tonnage for one. Proper gassing for one as a modding base.
    They're surprisingly ergonomic and comfy to play
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4189
    Swap the Bridge out for a Wilkinson with steel block, those old cast Mazak bridges were less than useless tbh
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31631
    robgilmo said:

My only experience of Strat pickup covers NOT fitting were on an 80s Aria, so there's a fair chance they won't tbh.
    edited April 2019

So bridge, saddles and pups. I guess some second hand standard fender pickups would cost next to nothing as people tend to swap them out all the time, a bridge and saddles shouldn't cost too much, I just need to make sure all the mounting holes are correct. Would I have any issues with those pot values?