Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Which solid body electric is loudest played unplugged?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Seriously though, I always find Les Pauls to be quieter than teles for instance. Well I know mines is. Is that everyone else’s  experience ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Why do you want to know? 
    Just wondered if there was a consensus or if it varies from instrument to instrument 
  • Seriously though, I always find Les Pauls to be quieter than teles for instance. Well I know mines is. Is that everyone else’s  experience ?
    This one is close - that one is further away
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72667

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Purely anecdotal, in terms of guitars I've played, and these are only single examples of that Guitar in the same place.

From Loudest to Quietest:
    Yamaha Revstar RS720B
    Vintage V6P
    Ibanez RGIR27BFE
    Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus
    Cheap Strat Copy (could never read the label)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The loudest is the one your wife/girlfriend can still hear whilst trying to watch Eastenders.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The one you are strumming while listening via headphones, but still keeps the granddaughter awake when she having sleepover 
    Just wondered if there was a consensus or if it varies from instrument to instrument 
    I’m sure there’s some variation between examples - but to generalise - guitars with less attack/longer natural sustain seem at the ‘quiet’ end of the spectrum, eg Les Pauls, Yamaha SGs, etc.

Conversely guitars with less sustain/more attack seem louder (eg Strats & Teles).
    I’m sure there’s some variation between examples - but to generalise - guitars with less attack/longer natural sustain seem at the ‘quiet’ end of the spectrum, eg Les Pauls, Yamaha SGs, etc.

Conversely guitars with less sustain/more attack seem louder (eg Strats & Teles).
    Yeah that’s what I find and I just completely took it for granted so wondered if everyone had the same experience
  • rossirossi Frets: 1707
    SNAKEBITE said:
    The loudest is the one your wife/girlfriend can still hear whilst trying to watch Eastenders.
    You too......
  • rossirossi Frets: 1707
    I find a paulwonia body is pretty loud .iIs very resonant.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    edited September 2018
    richardhomer said:I’m sure there’s some variation between examples - but to generalise - guitars with less attack/longer natural sustain seem at the ‘quiet’ end of the spectrum, eg Les Pauls, Yamaha SGs, etc.

Yeah that’s what I find and I just completely took it for granted so wondered if everyone had the same experience
    When Les Paul started designing a solid guitar (before his involvement with Gibson) - he wanted the ‘pure’ sound of the string vibrating - in other words he wanted the guitar to be as ‘inert’ as possible. Ultimately the Les Paul model seemed to give him that.

It seems to me that Fender-style guitars have a much more acoustic guitar-like response - where the energy from the string creates volume/initial attack, which dissipates it quickly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I wish I could remember what this was but I have a memory of someone playing a guitar with a chambered body and making the realisation that the jack plug socket acted as a sound hole, for home use if you plugged in a cable you reduced the acoustic volume. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.