Helix - tip of jack plug stuck in the input socket - Grrr +SOLVED

What's Hot
goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6184
edited April 2019 in Amps
It looks like the tip of a jack plug is stuck inside the input socket of my Helix (Sod's law that I was about to deliver it to the new owner tonight). The input still works perfectly (as the contacts are still made).

But I want to get it fixed. Anyone know if there's a secret technique for removing a 'stuck tip'? I presume it's a Neutrik-style PCB mounted jack socket, but would prefer not to disassemble the Helix to get at it. Seems too far in for needle-nose pliers.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639

There MIGHT be a trick but I don't know it!

Now you will make sure all your cables are Neutrik plugs because the tip and rod are one piece of brass and do not part company!

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72571
    Usually a complete faff. If you're *extremely* lucky, you can sometimes get them to fall out if you hold the unit with the jack pointing vertically downward, and - working from underneath and with a strong light, which is difficult - you can push the contact back with something like a 1.5mm Allen key and allow the end to fall out. More often, it tilts sideways and gets stuck.

95% of the time you will spend an hour trying this and then have to take the unit apart anyway...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6184
    I've tried very carefully using a small-diameter HSS drill-bit to see if it would dig into the material, but it's not enough to get enough purchase to retrieve. As soon as it bites, the tip just rotates. Dave's right - as this has left a sort of cylindrical tube instead of any solid bar.

I suppose there's an outside chance that removing the Helix's baseplate reveals all - without the need to undo every back panel socket... time to search for PCB images.

Bonus Q: Do we know how good Yamaha/Line6's repair centre at E&M Electronics in Milton Keynes is? I suppose I'd rather get it fixed at a warrantied place than fiddle with the SMTness of it all.

goldtop said:
    I've tried very carefully using a small-diameter HSS drill-bit to see if it would dig into the material, but it's not enough to get enough purchase to retrieve. As soon as it bites, the tip just rotates.
    If it's still facing the right way round so you can see that hole, you could try *very carefully* supergluing a cut-off toothpick into it. You must not get any glue on the socket...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I've never really trusted superglue (or myself with superglue to be more honest!)

Pic of the innards shows that more disassembly than just the baseplate is needed for access to the socket:

• Not sure if this could be helpful?

It might be for some, but not in this case. The screw trick sort of works, but before the screw bites in, the tip rotates. ICBM's idea of sugerglue would probably work, but I think I'll try taking it apart at the weekend.

Bizarrely, the Helix work just fine with a cable pushed in as far as it will go. Without any crackles, even. I think the springs for the R and S contacts force the T of the plug into reliable contact with the stuck T.
    ICBM said:
    goldtop said:
    I've tried very carefully using a small-diameter HSS drill-bit to see if it would dig into the material, but it's not enough to get enough purchase to retrieve. As soon as it bites, the tip just rotates.
    If it's still facing the right way round so you can see that hole, you could try *very carefully* supergluing a cut-off toothpick into it. You must not get any glue on the socket...
    Top marks and a cuddly toy of your choice!

After using the Helix as-is for ages, this morning I tried the superglue trick, but using a 3in wood screw I had left over. Just a dab of glue, carefully inserted the screw so as not to touch the sides of the input socket and then a slight turn of the screw so that its tip's thread would just bite into the offending TRS tip.

Left it for an hour and then used a firm pull on the screw head with pliers. Pop!

Job done. Thanks. :)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9601
    Bingo ! Great result - well done :)
    Well done! Patience and care wins :).

• ICBM said:
    Well done! Patience and care wins :).
    That's a lot of bloody patience too!! lol

Bye!

90% can't-be-arsed, 9% honest procrastination, 1% effort. Plus trace amounts of bravery.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3052
    Learning point: don't use cables with cheap plugs. Neutrik or death! :)