Albert lee, a nice easy lesson!

What's Hot
notanonnotanon Frets: 618
edited September 2018 in Off Topic
Just stumbled across this. A blast from the past.

This is for @jamesoliver1234 who I know is a big fan ;-)

Enjoy!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16267
    no link
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 618
    Doh! 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Bloody hell, that’s ridiculous and certainly not going to be attempted here!

(I have of course heard of him but don’t think I have ever seen or heard his playing)
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Ozzy, head in hands: "Oy shourra neva le' Zakk bring this on the buzz!"

(For non-Brummie-speakers: I should never have allowed Zakk to watch this on the nightliner.)
  • Some kind of voodoo or maybe video trickery?!?!?

Not humanly possible, I reckon! 

• Albert Lee is playing in Bristol next week and there are still tickets available!!!!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've been watching this on loop for a few hours now and I've finally managed to crack the first bit. I'm not even going to attempt the stuff after the opening  E A D G B E slow lick though.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12449
    I've been watching this on loop for a few hours now and I've finally managed to crack the first bit. I'm not even going to attempt the stuff after the opening  E A D G B E slow lick though.
    Agreed, at least I can tell everyone I can tune up just like Albert Lee now.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    Been playing/learning modern country for 10 years........finally I'm starting to get somewhere
    Any of the Johnny Hiland, Jerry Reed lessons on YT will get you going.
    Country Boy by Albert is one of the easier ones compared to some of the Brent Mason and Hiland stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5012
    Dominic said:
    Been playing/learning modern country for 10 years........finally I'm starting to get somewhere
    Country Boy by Albert is one of the easier ones compared to some of the Brent Mason and Hiland stuff.

That kind of music mostly appeals to younger males, many of whom play guitar. I doubt if many could hum the tune in Country Boy for example. Technically brilliant, musical content zero. The availability of tickets for the Bristol gig proves my point.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I think that's totally wrong in all respects ;
    Mostly appeals to Old farts like me NOT young males;
    Country is, if anything, very tuneful ........albeit harmonically simple, ie ;a glorified Major 1,4,5 for the most part.......if you listened to Country Boy and couldn't hum the tune you shouldn't be doing music .
      I would understand if we were talking about Fusion Jazz or wild shred stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Rocker said:
    Dominic said:

That kind of music mostly appeals to younger males, many of whom play guitar. I doubt if many could hum the tune in Country Boy for example. Technically brilliant, musical content zero. The availability of tickets for the Bristol gig proves my point.

I could definitely hum the tune of Country Boy! 
    Albert is an old school tune comes first guy who loves the Everly Brothers. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  •  Amazing. It is hard to notice the difference between fast and slow.
    Although I would not want to go full country Albert and other hybrid pickers are amazing. I love the way they can extract a lot of music without too much flailing about. Looks very efficient.   I saw Pete Anderson live a few years ago and his hands hardly moved yet he sounded like two guitars most of the time. 
    There are a couple of nice lessons from Daniel Donato on Reverb at the moment
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
     I would not want to go full country
    https://i.imgflip.com/2ivrvx.jpg
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Two kinda of Music, country and western
  • girya32girya32 Frets: 10
    this is on the Master Sessions DVD, which comes with the tab in some weird and wonderful "fraction" format, so written under the music stave with regular notation is something like 4/4H4/5 3/0 4/5 2/3, where the top number of each fraction is the string, the bottom number the fret...   still can't play it at anything but a crawl, but fun to learn nevertheless. .
    Now Luther Perkins I can probably do...
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I saw him a couple of years ago playing with Jerry Lee Lewis, seeing close up on that video how he does what he does is a real eye opener.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2341
    edited October 2018
    I still have the Star Licks Master Series cassette and booklet but I never did get Country Boy up to full speed!

Mrs Keefy and I had front row seats at the Bristol gig on Thursday, the third time I'd seen Albert Lee live. He was phenomenal, especially when you consider he is 74 years old! Mrs Keefy is not exactly a guitar nut, but she does enjoy good music played well, and hugely enjoyed the concert. Although Albert Lee is known as a country guitarist, he is much more of an all-round musician, having been a member of the Crickets, backed up the Everly Brothers, and toured and recorded with Eric Clapton.

I brought home a little audio souvenir of the show, signed by the man himself.

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5199
    I think I remember Eric Clapton calling him the best Guitarist he knew...He always looks so happy, but I think I’d look that happy if I could play like him.. :)