Telecaster Flightcase Reccomendations

What's Hot
Dan_CDan_C Frets: 13
edited September 2018 in Guitar
I'm looking at getting a baggage-handler-proof flight case for a telecaster... but having had a quick look online, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the number of options on the market. Fender, SKB, Peli, Hiscox, or any number of custom flight case companies!

So if anyone has some suggestions as to which cases I should look and which ones I should avoid I'd love to hear about them. 

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3602
    I have a Fender Tweed case, its cheap and tacky, the locks are really just a visual deterrent, or to keep the kids out, for storing guitars at home and the odd car journey they are fine, they wouldn't be baggage handler proof. 
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • Dan_CDan_C Frets: 13
    Yeah I thought the vintage style Fender cases wouldn't really be up to the task, thanks for confirming that though... anyone had any experience with the moulded flight case fender offerings?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    Hiscox. Miles better than the Fender/SKB ones.

Don't bother with a plywood vintage-style Fender case - the guitar will survive if it's a Tele, but the case probably won't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @ICBM Thanks for the info! Which SKB model are you comparing the Hiscox too? They seem to have a standard model, and then a beefy 'military grade' model. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10895
    +1 for Hiscox
  • Hiscox. And pay the extra to get the Pro Series one too, as it has twice the crush protection of the Standard Series
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    Dan_C said:
    @ICBM Thanks for the info! Which SKB model are you comparing the Hiscox too? They seem to have a standard model, and then a beefy 'military grade' model. 
    The standard ones and the ones they make for Fender. Admittedly I haven’t seen the ‘military’ ones, but the others are not very impressive - they look superficially like a Hiscox, but they’re arent. The lining isn’t bonded to the shell like the Hiscox is, which is what provides a lot of the strength - it’s a separate piece glued in. And they’re more expensive than Hiscox.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Hiscox seem to be winning the race so far... 

Anyone here had any experience with the SKB iSeries ('military' grade ones)? Or Anyone a fan of the more traditional flat flight cases? 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    I ran over my strat in a hiscox case. About 10 years later a bit of the outer shell the size of a small finger nail fell of the little bit that cracked. Otherwise guitar and case continue as if nothing happened 15+ years on from the incident. I have other hiscox cases now too.

In reality you need to be protecting the baggage handlers from the telecaster, put a Keef sticker on the outside for good measure. ;-)

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    This super strong case looks like it was deliberately trashed by baggage handlers.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6211187/EasyJet-baggage-handlers-wreck-indestructible-1-000-guitar-case.html
  • Hiscox. And pay the extra to get the Pro Series one too, as it has twice the crush protection of the Standard Series
    This. Get the Pro II, they are super tough, and £140 isn’t much to secure your beloved from the baggage handlers! :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    I've flown with Hiscox, really great cases light and strong.
    @fretfinder Yeah, after a look around the Hiscox cases are all reasonably priced.

@JD50 Great! 

Anyone know off the top of their heads if a Telecaster with a Bigsby will fit in the Hiscox?