Ebony and CITES

What's Hot
Quick question, does anyone know if ebony falls under CITES like rosewood does?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ParkerParker Frets: 960
    bassbora said:
    Quick question, does anyone know if ebony falls under CITES like rosewood does?
    Nope
  • Not unless you get a numpty in customs that can’t tell the difference between ebony and rosewood 
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    I was talking to Andy at Nottingham City Guitars within the past few months and mentioned that I was buying a vintage ES-5 (not from him, there was another one that I was interested in that he had). Bit of a sharp intake of breath, and then I mentioned that it was an ebony fretboard. 'Ah, you're OK then', was his reply. There was a pretty good explanation on it on his website, but I looked recently and it's undergoing reconstruction. In short, Andy seemed to think that ebony was fine. 
    Call me Dave.
  • Thanks chaps I have my thinking cap on for something. 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    If it’s from Madagascar it does. 99.9% of the ebony used in guitars isn’t though, it’s mainly West African. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I noticed @ATB_Guitars on the forum last night - if you need any more specific advice, I'm sure that Mike would be able to point you in the right direction as far as the regs are concerned.

Call me Dave.
  • DB1 said:
    I noticed @ATB_Guitars on the forum last night - if you need any more specific advice, I'm sure that Mike would be able to point you in the right direction as far as the regs are concerned.

@guitars4you also has a lot of experience in this area as well...
    DB1 said:

@guitars4you also has a lot of experience in this area as well...
    Indeed, yes - I had my mind on vintage guitars (after the Harrison thread) but you're absolutely right.
    Call me Dave.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14368
    tFB Trader
    As far as I know only Madagascar ebony falls under a CITES agreement - Applicable from sometime in 2013, so if the guitar is pre-2013 then CITES exempt - Not sure how any one can tell the difference between say Ceylon Ebony and Madagascar, so there is  a potential issue with customs not accepting what you claim

Remember if you are buying/selling within the EU, then no customs borders, so no CITES currently required

Believe this is causing issues within the Violin/String business
  • As far as I know only Madagascar ebony falls under a CITES agreement - Applicable from sometime in 2013, so if the guitar is pre-2013 then CITES exempt - Not sure how any one can tell the difference between say Ceylon Ebony and Madagascar, so there is  a potential issue with customs not accepting what you claim

Remember if you are buying/selling within the EU, then no customs borders, so no CITES currently required

This would be a guitar from the 80s from the US. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14368
    tFB Trader
    bassbora said:
    As far as I know only Madagascar ebony falls under a CITES agreement - Applicable from sometime in 2013, so if the guitar is pre-2013 then CITES exempt - Not sure how any one can tell the difference between say Ceylon Ebony and Madagascar, so there is  a potential issue with customs not accepting what you claim

This would be a guitar from the 80s from the US. 
    Should be fine - Need clear info on the receipt for customs purpose regarding the date - Not sure how you can specify which ebony though just by looking and like many builders they might have used different sources - Gibson use to use Ceylon/Si Lanka but don't recall when this changed

UK DEFRA contact for CITES if required
    Tel: +44 (0) 3000 200 301 
    Fax: +44 (0) 28 415 2510 
    Email: wildlife.licensing@apha.gsi.gov.uk