Auto wah / filter recommendations?

BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
edited September 2018 in FX
I’ve owned a boss auto wah and EHX q-tron but both were pretty difficult to use in terms of controlling the volume spike when the filter effect kicks in.

I appreciate it needs to be set in terms of guitar output and any boosts in volume before hand, but are there any which are easier to dial in than others.

I don’t use a compressor, and don’t want to get one for the sake of an auto wah.

Any thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• A combined auto wah and compressor as an all in one funk machine is on my design list for my (complete figment of my imagination) pedal company. In the meantime I sympathise, I also  have some experience that suggests that the auto wah settings in cheap multi fx actually over come this problem. Almost by virtue of being slightly crap. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • markvmarkv Frets: 460
    I've only used one, but it was a honey: the 3Leaf Proton. I had a v2. It was very niche (hence I don't have it any more) but I found it straightforward to dial in, once I understood how it worked.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8193
    I tried several. And sold them all. 
    I'm not sure a great auto-wah i.e. one which replicates an actual wah, exists - I'd love to be proved wrong though...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1389
    I have an old guyatone (would sell it cheap, it's mint) and it sounds great on guitar, doesn't need compression or anything. not so good on bass.

i was amazed by the demos for the dba deep animation but much too expensive 
  • I have experienced the same volume/eq spike with autowahs/envelope filters and sadly think its kinda what happens with this effect when you dig in to get the best pronounced sounds. Always found singlecoils work best for me and i have now settled on an old guyatone wah rocker and an Analogman man envelope filter, both are slightly mellower than all the others i’ve tried and i would highly recommend. One thing you could try is putting a volume pedal after the auto filter to get the volume to a nice level without peaking, but thats a bit annoying and expensive. Tough one, i love auto filters but they can be a bit too spikey and loud at times in that eq range
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    Lovetone Meatball, or clone. Extraordinary pedal, almost like a synth module.
  • Keeley neutrino 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • 3leaf Wonderlove is a fine bit of auto wah/envelope loveliness. All those funky noises in a tin.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer