What kind of strings did they use in the early-mid 70's?

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3581
edited September 2018 in Guitar
Were they pure nickel? And was the third still wound at this time? Im doing some reading and apparently 10-38's were popular?
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    Rotosound,  Picato and Black Diamond brands. Then was a fashion for light gauge and I don't recall a wound third. Strings were generally steel and some nickel plated. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14366
    tFB Trader
    10-38 gauge was fairly popular especially amongst Fender sales - F150 set - Can't recall any other brand offering 10-38 gauge but some might recall otherwise - The F150 and other Fender gauges were pure nickel but I found they went 'dead sounding' very quickly - Nice tone but lasted 1 gig - Ernie Ball were big in the 70's and 80's - In the UK so was Rotosound, Piccato, Gibson amongst others regarding sales- D'addario were not as well known then

Most sets were plain 3rd, but a wound 3rd available if required

Pure nickel was available mainly via Fender, but most others were as now with nickel over a steel core on wound strings
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699

Don't forget Monels, they were a lot more common back then. Great on a strat. Have a kind of airy sweet sparkliness to them without too much reduction in output.

• teradaterada Frets: 5114
    Proper strings? Luxury.

All we had was discarded socks dipped pulled taught but we made do
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7077
    tFB Trader
    In the early-mid-70s I used Ernie Ball Ultra Slinkys (8-38) which were exactly the same as they are now.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    In the early-mid-70s I used Ernie Ball Ultra Slinkys (8-38) which were exactly the same as they are now.

In the early-mid 70's I used to watch things like Play School and Andy Pandy
  • crunchman said:

What strings did they use?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:

Andy Pandy had very thin ones, as did Teddy and Looby Loo
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:

you had to sit in the pram and watch with mother whilst dad was at the counter buying them - And remember you were in to wooden tops then and not flamed maple tops
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    crunchman said:

Not as many as spotty dog though!

tFB Trader
    ESBlonde said:
    crunchman said:

He was the biggest spotty dog you ever did see.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8754
    The two brands I remember were Rotosound and Picato. At the time I was using 10-46s. Not long after I changed to Ernie Ball 10-52s. As I remember wound 3rds only turned up in acoustic string sets, and nickel wasn’t mentioned. In 1969 there was talk of lighter top strings, but mainly along the lines of “thank god we don’t have to use banjo strings any longer”.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    tFB Trader
    Roland said:
    The two brands I remember were Rotosound and Picato. At the time I was using 10-46s. Not long after I changed to Ernie Ball 10-52s. As I remember wound 3rds only turned up in acoustic string sets, and nickel wasn’t mentioned. In 1969 there was talk of lighter top strings, but mainly along the lines of “thank god we don’t have to use banjo strings any longer”.
    slightly before my time regarding the late 60's - But from stories I've picked up, Ken Achard (later MD of Peavey UK and Europe for many years) co ran Top Gear on Denmark Street with the Bradley Bros, who owned Strings n Things distribution business - Ken was one of the first to attend USA shows and quickly picked up on slinky strings by Ernie Ball - They might not have being the first and indeed Ken might not have been first, but like a few other such stories he was certainly one of the early dealers/pioneers to pick up on such products for a UK distributor and his store
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8754
    Slinky Top Heavy Bottom 10-52s served me well for years. I can’t remeber when they first came in, but I’m sure I was using them by 1973.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72606
    The Fender ‘Rock’n’Roll’ F150 10-38s were that gauge because the wound strings were lightly rolled to reduce finger noise. That compresses the outer diameter while keeping the mass and tension the same, so they’re actually no different from a modern set of 10-46 really.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• As far as I can remember I used mostly Rotosound strings back then. Probably 9's with a plain third. Moved on to Ernie's for a while, dallied with Dean Markley's and now settled with D'Addario's.
    tFB Trader
    I recall Picato strings in a round see thru plastic box

I recall Roto's when they all had names like  something King - loads of different gauges - Yet I can't remember what their names were

Black Diamond Strings

La Bella Strings
  • westwest Frets: 996
    ESBlonde said:
    crunchman said:

He was the biggest spotty dog you ever did see.
    and muffin the mule was not a sexual offence .....
  • westwest Frets: 996
    And pogles Wood could be seen from miles around ...

• Fender 'Light Rock n Roll' iirc.  Ernie Balls were just as sterile then as now, Picato (bought because Blackmore used them) lasted about a day before going rusty.  Rotosound were the other big name but can't remember ever trying them.