Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New favourite Chinese..

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Has Phil not commented on this thread yet?
    Naughty boy
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    quarky said:
    Shui ap fan

(well….as close as I can get it in English phonetic).  It literally means Roast Duck Rice, that is the direct literal translation of each word.
    I love the eggy buns too, char su bau? Or are those the pork ones? 

EDIT: Lai wong bau, those were the ones! God, haven't had them for ages..
    I like the Bau filled with soup
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    edited September 2018
    I hate the fact I canny find a Chinese that does some nice home made dishes (proper home made sauces rather than congealed crap out a bottle).  You'd have thought there was room in market for the odd one doing something a bit fresher, authentic and homemade style.

Once had a Chinese dish that translated as "mouthwatering chicken", wasn't even on menu, which was fantastic (they had westernised it using the usual sause with smaller bits of chicken - original is chicken on bone iirc, even whole chicken) but sauce was phenomenal.  Very hot indeed, bery dark and rich almost slight charred taste (but not too thick or sickly rich)  had almost a slight mandarin orange bitterness and sweet note running through it which was amazing.  What a difference, night and day from crap we get in 99% of takeaways.  Complex, interesting flavours and just brilliant with some boiled rice.

used to live in a town where local Chinese did make their own black bean sauce from scratch and again the difference was huge compared to the over thick bought in crap.
  • I tried Kung Po Chicken tonight from our local, reasonably decent takeaway. It was crap. Like a bland sweet and sour with some chilis in there that didn't do much to the flavour or heat. Too much sweet and gooey sauce. Even made me feel a bit queasy after.

I wish I'd had beef in black bean sauce.

I'd have preferred a curry, or a to to the pub for a pie. The former wasn't an option since we're going out for one tomorrow, and the latter was the plan until my wife felt ill in the afternoon and couldn't muster the energy to go out.

FFS
  • Has Phil not commented on this thread yet?
    Yes, but I thought the argument about slang had gone a bit stale. Very often I judge the quality of an unknown take-away by the duck in black bean sauce. The one in Honington is fabulous, the one in Ixworth is OK on the way home from work if you don't want a detour, and as far as I am concerned forget the one in Botesdale.

I have yet to try any Chinese food outlets in Herefordshire
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself