Purchasing a guitar in Japan

What's Hot
Hi guys!

I'm travelling to Japan on my holidays soon and I was wondering whether it's worth buying a guitar over there? I've always been a huge fan of Greco, Edwards, Ibanez, all the 1970s Japanese manufacturers. Going over with a Les Paul in mind (but would definitely love to get something like an Ibanez Artist style double cut), which models do you think are a good buy? Or would I be better purchasing in the UK/Europe?
Thanks everyone
S
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    edited September 2018
    You can definitely get one over there. The are plenty of stores in Shibuya and I'm sure they'll have lots of stock of Japanese brands.

The only issue might be customs due to CITES (rosewood/ebony) in particular could be the issue. But if the guitar is not too expensive, or you're feeling courageous it could be worth a try.

If not have a look at my sales as I'm selling a Greco, somes Crews and will be adding a couple of Navigators as well.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6196
    I have done in the past (and will be going again in a month). With the Yen:£ rate being pretty dismal, and so many Yahoo/Ebay traders raiding Tokyo's shops for guitars to punt to the world, there aren't so many outright bargains to be found these days. This is especially true for easy-to-sell guitars, like LP/Strat/Tele-styles.

But keep an open mind and you might find something a bit unusual - many great JDM guitars never get any airtime and are lots cheaper and just as well made. Fujigen (IIRC) for example, made some excellent BC Rich knock-offs, and they were about £200..

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14420
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    You should get a good choice of such Jap models that you don't see to many of over here, like Edwards etc - So that is the plus point - Should be know issues regarding CITES on any used guitar with an Ebony fingerboard - Even Madagascar ebony  only went on the CITES list a couple of years ago - If carrying it on the plane as your own possession then CITES should not come into play, but still better if a used guitar pre CITES regs - Get a receipt with as much info as possible regarding woods and/or age, especially if used - But only buy it if you really like it

I yen to go there one day so enjoy it
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    edited September 2018
    Whereabouts are you going? I can recommend places in Nagoya as I spend a portion of each year there.

The pound ain't worth a shit right now, so the glory days of super cheap purchases are over, but theres loads of decent choices. The biggest BIGGEST pain in the arse was flying back - my les paul was left sitting in the middle of the floor in Heathrow once, between some carousels, with dozens and dozens of people just walking past it. I've not flown back with one since.

If you can, go to Komehyo Guitars if theres one in the city (Nagoya 100% has one - its in Osu) - big second hand stores with all the colours of the rainbow for sale. I love it in there.

If staying in Tokyo, Ochanomizu is the #1 destination you should hit.

I've also mulled over the possibility of buying a Fender, then taking the neck off and bunging it my suitcase in pieces lol. The wife shot that idea down in flames.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3465
    You need to get one of those outrageous visual kei (glam metal genre) guitars which are available only to the Japanese market. Like this one:

• My LS100 in the classifeds is a far better price than you’d get for the same guitar in Tokyo with the current exchange rate ;-)

That said, worth checking out Ochanamizou. I also thought Nico Nico guitars (near Shibuya if I remember correctly) was amazing - with a more interesting selection than many of the places in Ochanamizou. They also gave me a nice t shirt when I bought a guitar there.
  • As much as I think it should be straightforward...I would be too scared of running into CITES/customs issues while dashing for my plane
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3641
    Of course if you buy in Japan and import a guitar don't forget to allow for the 20% VAT payable when you return. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited September 2018
    Neil said:
    Of course if you buy in Japan and import a guitar don't forget to allow for the 20% VAT payable when you return. 
    It’s actually about 23% in total. VAT & Customs charges. 

For example a £500 Guitar you bring in will be £615.00

if you have it shipped then it’s the total value including shipping.

So £500 & £110 delivery will be £750.30

You may have a currency conversion charge of £12-15 added on by your bank as well. 
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    You should get a good choice of such Jap models that you don't see to many of over here, like Edwards etc - So that is the plus point - Should be know issues regarding CITES on any used guitar with an Ebony fingerboard - Even Madagascar ebony  only went on the CITES list a couple of years ago - If carrying it on the plane as your own possession then CITES should not come into play, but still better if a used guitar pre CITES regs - Get a receipt with as much info as possible regarding woods and/or age, especially if used - But only buy it if you really like it

I yen to go there one day so enjoy it
    Doesn't CITES still come into play if the customs stop you on airport arrival? To be very honest I think it does, regardless of whether you claim it to be your own possession or not.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6196
    Neil said:
    Ms Goldtop was most surprised when I voluntarily went through the red channel at Heathrow, having bought a Tokai in Tokyo.

When I got there, there was no-one in there. At all. Empty tables, and nothing apart from the cold unblinking eye of CCTV cameras. And a phone. I had to pick up the phone, wait a few minutes for someone to answer, explain what I had bought, and was told "wait there". When I asked how long, the voice on the other end of the phone got extra stern and said  "as long as it takes, don't move, you are being recorded". I think it was about 15 minutes, and the woman who turned up seemed pretty annoyed at having to check the guitar, receipt and work out how much I had to pay.

I didn't mind paying, but I resented being treated like a nuisance for declaring the import. Insult and injury.

The lesson (and Ms Goldtop's approach) is to just amble through the green channel. You may get stopped and get an extra penalty if they don't believe it when you plead ignorance, but you often won't get stopped very often and the savings more than cover the occasional penalty.

(Please note, this is not a recommendation either way!)
  • Kitsune has given sound advice (and an admirable choice of city: though even a resident of Nagoya for 27 years such as myself wouldn't really big up the tourist possibilities). Komehyo is good (and you can check out much of their stock on the Web first if you like -- though good luck with the Japanese). I think they're mainly a Nagoya company, though. Slightly better bargains are to be had in the second-hand chain Hard-Off (oo-er) if you can find one. They are all over the country, but not all branches have guitars, so you have to do a bit more work. The regular shops like Ishibashi are also worth a look, and again can be checked out in advance.

If you aren't here for all that long, though, the best advice has to just be: go to Tokyo and walk down Ochanomizu. Probably the highest density of guitar shops in the world. When I was back in London last year and went to Denmark St for old times' sake, I wept at how crap it was in comparison.

Oh, and even though the Japanese generally don't haggle, if you're after a second-hand one from Ochanomizu, I'd definitely have a go.

Kitsune's wife notwithstanding, taking apart a bolt-on neck guitar and putting it in your suitcase is definitely doable. I did it myself when I 'accidentally' ended up with a guitar on a trip to Australia.
  • SleepyscholarSleepyscholar Frets: 167
    edited September 2018
    Sorry for the double post.
  • Yamaha Image would be an less than obvious choice. The Deluxe model has a locking trem, but has an Ebony fingerboard. No CITES problems.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3604
    Would it be worth taking  a crappy old beater with you and returning with the same crappy old beater only its not the crappy old beater?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3641
    robgilmo said:
    Would it be worth taking  a crappy old beater with you and returning with the same crappy old beater only its not the crappy old beater?
    That's an old chestnut.

Who would you inform about the "crappy old beater" you are taking out and ditto when you return?

Unless you have the original receipt to show you bought aforesaid guitar in Britain previously it wouldn't really work would it?

IME experience it is just not worth personally importing run of the mill guitars into the country as it is doubtful you would end up financially better off in the end.

Something rare or unusual is a different kettle of fish. 
  • The VAT thing is funny. I go the other way now - buy in the UK and reclaim the VAT. I got £300 back on my already bargainatious ES-330 :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    brooom said:
    You can definitely get one over there. The are plenty of stores in Shibuya and I'm sure they'll have lots of stock of Japanese brands.

The only issue might be customs due to CITES (rosewood/ebony) in particular could be the issue. But if the guitar is not too expensive, or you're feeling courageous it could be worth a try.

If not have a look at my sales as I'm selling a Greco, somes Crews and will be adding a couple of Navigators as well.
    I fly in Asia all the time with guitars- no one is checking for CITIES for personally carried instruments.
    Same with coming back into Europe.