Furch OM3 or Martin 000rs1

ditchboyditchboy Frets: 298
edited October 2018 in Acoustics
I have the choice of either the Furch with a K and K pickup installed for £580. Or the Martin for £450. One is 60 miles south of me the other 60 miles north so a fairly hefty round trip to try them both. My teacher has the same Martin and I did like the feel and the sound of it. However I’ve read so many good things about the Furch brand. The Furch has a slight ding but otherwise looks fine. The Martin is 4 months old. 
Do I go try the Furch or go get the Martin?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    Martin. But then I own a Martin so I'm biased.
  • I also have one. A D28 but want something that I don’t mind leaving out in the house around small people. 
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    ditchboy said:
    I also have one. A D28 but want something that I don’t mind leaving out in the house around small people. 
    I keep all my guitars in the case due to the small people. Makes things much more stress free!
  • I think you mean the Furch OM30?  

The Furch is a different guitar to the Martin.  The latter has all solid Sapele, richlite fingerboard with a 1 11/16" nut, short scale whilst the Furch is long scale with a 1 3/4" nut, spruce soundboard with Mahogany back and sides and an ebony fretboard. 

I myself would go for the Furch, it's basically a budget Martin OM18 for a very good price. 
  • I think you mean the Furch OM30?  

The Furch is a different guitar to the Martin.  The latter has all solid Sapele, richlite fingerboard with a 1 11/16" nut, short scale whilst the Furch is long scale with a 1 3/4" nut, spruce soundboard with Mahogany back and sides and an ebony fretboard. 

I myself would go for the Furch, it's basically a budget Martin OM18 for a very good price. 
    Yes OM30. I also took a look at some Larrivee OM3’s but slightly more than I want to pay. Think the Martin is long scale too. 
  • ditchboy said:
    I think you mean the Furch OM30?  

Yes OM30. I also took a look at some Larrivee OM3’s but slightly more than I want to pay. Think the Martin is long scale too. 
    Yes, you are right about the Martin being long scale. 

Larry's are nice as well.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    Since you think you know what the Martin is like perhaps you need to go try the Furch, even if just to discount it!
  • Probably stupid but I’m in the same area of the Martin tomorrow anyway so it would be more convenient. Not much information online about the Furch unfortunately. 
  • Wow, your brave to leave a £500 acoustic around the house with small people .
    All my high end acoustics are cased up under the bed , but he learnt how to undo all the latches a long time ago, so I put luggage straps around them as well.
    My house guitar is a £5 charity shop classical , which has amazingly survived 2 years of being bashed around and stood on by little person .

Go for the Martin , I am biased too.
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 298
    I went for the Furch in the end. Lovely thing it is. Not really a strummers guitar but will still suit me for practicing.