Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

knee timbre, how do I improve it?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I’m 4 stone lighter than I was at my heaviest - when my guitars rest against me, does it mean they sound thinner?
    Stones are not good at transmitting vibrations.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    Learn from the master:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 539
    edited September 2018
    Surely just stand up to play. Instant isolation from your knee.... 

edit: it’s early and I clearly missed the joke here :lol:
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5407
    Snags said:
    Aeroelastics attached to spring-damped ceiling hooks mounted through rubber grommets, supporting a silk sling that suspends the guitar at playing height.

Try not to touch the body when you pick the strings, and obviously use cotton buds to press the strings to the fretboard so you don't damp the neck with your thumb around the back.
    Sounds entirely practical to me
    I  can't take full credit. I was inspired by someone I know who claimed to have suspended his washing machine on elastic/rubber strips to stop it walking on the spin cycle.
  • vizviz Frets: 10720
    Snags said:
    Snags said:
    Aeroelastics attached to spring-damped ceiling hooks mounted through rubber grommets, supporting a silk sling that suspends the guitar at playing height.

Try not to touch the body when you pick the strings, and obviously use cotton buds to press the strings to the fretboard so you don't damp the neck with your thumb around the back.
    Sounds entirely practical to me
    I  can't take full credit. I was inspired by someone I know who claimed to have suspended his washing machine on elastic/rubber strips to stop it walking on the spin cycle.
    I’ve done that with ours. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • PerdixPerdix Frets: 136
    Long john silver was an accomplished guitarist. During jam nights at the Admiral Benbow he would remove his usual wooden leg and replace it with one of intricately carved koruna, a ebony toe piece and Spanish cedar stump cap. Was the most incredible tone. It sent shivers through your timbers.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    I am not understanding the 'issue' here??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Long john silver was an accomplished guitarist. During jam nights at the Admiral Benbow he would remove his usual wooden leg and replace it with one of intricately carved koruna, a ebony toe piece and Spanish cedar stump cap. Was the most incredible tone. It sent shivers through your timbers.
    excellent!!
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4930
    Can you play "kneed your love so bad"?

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11346
    Nitefly said:
    Can you play "kneed your love so bad"?

Oh yes, anything by Patela Green.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3581
    No, but I can play Lou Kneed , walk on the wild side.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • robgilmo said:
    No, but I can play Lou Kneed , kneel on the wild side.

• Do you play with your mouth open or closed? Other parts of my body vibrate in sympathy.

I sometimes remove my dentures if I don't have fixing paste.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3992
    Do you play with your mouth open or closed? Other parts of my body vibrate in sympathy.

I sometimes remove my dentures if I don't have fixing paste.
    More open depending on how far you're bending a note from its resting pitch, have you never learned anything from Paul Gilbert?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72605
    Perdix said:
    The Admiral Benbow in Penzance? I once got food poisoning in there - I was ill for three days. When I was finally able to stagger out of the B&B I discovered the Soviet Union had collapsed in the mean time - I briefly wondered how many weeks I'd been in there. This was before smartphones obviously, and no TV in the room so the outside world hadn't filtered in.

Come to think of it, wasn't Long John Silver the cook? That might explain things... I hate to think what else he might have been doing with his spare leg.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein