Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So, I've played a Tom Anderson today

What's Hot
antonyivantonyiv Frets: 304
edited September 2018 in Guitar

Drop top model from 2015. It looked like this, but without the pickguard:

First time I play such guitar, I spend something like 30 minutes with it. I can possible take with a part exchange deal and cash. 

First impressions: I expected to be blown away and...I really liked it but somehow expected more.

Pros:

- Satin finish of the body was really beautiful  
- Neck was awesome, really easy to bend although it was 25.5 scale
- The neck joint was great with easy access
- Sounds - very versatile instrument - it can cover blues, funk, rock, even metal maybe.  It could handle even jazz but it would look a bit awkward playing a superstrat at Montreux jazz festival
- Neck was addictive - the more you play, the more you  want to play it
- All satin neck felt very good

Cons:

- Not much really, expect the price 
- I can understand why people think it is sterile - it sounded like in studio. It's difficult to explain, it's like great guitar sound...that went through a lot of effects, presets and post-processing. 

And this got me thinking: can we define good? Is it 3 times better than an American Standard strat because it's 3 times more expensive? It was definitely a world class instrument, but didn't really improve me as a guitar player. Some things were easier and more fun to play, it sounded good...but I really expected more after reading so many positive reviews.

There comes another problem - it's not for the average Joe. I would expect to see Steve Vai witch such guitar, rocking a stadium.
I don't really imagine playing a 3k instrument in shady venues.... 

I'm kinda confused. In the beginning was really into making the deal, but the more time passes, the more I feel like buying a Lamborghini - it is prestigious, but not for everyday. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Great observation?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Great observation?
    Sorry dude, just hit Enter accidentally after posting the photo. :) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5006
    Having played the Anderson, how does your own guitar feel/sound now......

Live with it for a few days, then you will know if you can get by without it.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• In the ‘posh’ Strat market I rate Andersons as the very best. They eliminate pretty much every limitation inherent in vintage style Fenders.

Personally I find them ‘too’ perfect - but if you find traditional Fenders a tad ‘agricultural’ - there’s nothing better in my experience. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • A guitar won’t improve you as a player. If that’s what you’re looking for buy a Squier, raise the action and stick ‘13s on it.

i never understand the “con” that it sounded like being in the studio personally. I gigged my Anderson in plenty of dive bars because I liked it and knew the sound would be consistent. 

As strats go, for me they’re the best factory built in the world.
  • I don't think most folk in a bar except fellow guitar geeks would even know what a Tom Anderson was. If you buy it, take it out and play it, it's only likely to be a risk if you're careless. I've gigged a mex Strat and a Les Paul Standard, looked after them the same as I don't want any of my gear nicked so I'm careful. If you're same you should be good to go!

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33871
    antonyiv said:

It looked like this,

I own this guitar ^^^

2reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14538
    tFB Trader
    In the ‘posh’ Strat market I rate Andersons as the very best. They eliminate pretty much every limitation inherent in vintage style Fenders.

Personally I find them ‘too’ perfect - but if you find traditional Fenders a tad ‘agricultural’ - there’s nothing better in my experience. 
    good summary and as an overview I can see where you are coming from
  • Honestly if it didnt blow you away or speak to you probably best to walk away but try some others i use Suhr and there totally killer not sterile at all, loads of tones to be had and play light butter never played a bad one either
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2266
    antonyiv said:

And this got me thinking: can we define good? Is it 3 times better than an American Standard strat because it's 3 times more expensive? It was definitely a world class instrument, but didn't really improve me as a guitar player. Some things were easier and more fun to play, it sounded good...but I really expected more after reading so many positive reviews.

There comes another problem - it's not for the average Joe. I would expect to see Steve Vai witch such guitar, rocking a stadium.
    I don't really imagine playing a 3k instrument in shady venues.... 

I'm kinda confused. In the beginning was really into making the deal, but the more time passes, the more I feel like buying a Lamborghini - it is prestigious, but not for everyday. 
    I've cut your original post to comment on certain points...

Can we define good?

Yes we can, in this case an Anderson is built using quality materials with a high attention to detail. However, there will always be the law of diminishing returns, i.e. if it costs twice as much as another guitar it won't be twice as good.

Regarding shady venues, always keep the guitar near you or with someone you trust when you go to the toilet. An expensive one makes you feel nervous. Imho its the shiny ones that go walkies.

In the end you have to justify any purchase to yourself. I had a big problem spending over 1k on a guitar. I broke that barrier twice this year.

• tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699

How's that neck joint for access? sometimes it looks quite sleek, then other times from different angles, it looks quite chunky.

I'd be hard pressed to look away from somewhere like japan for super shredder type guitars, that's kinda their thing, build, fit, finish and cost.

The TA Angel is quite beautiful though.

• antonyivantonyiv Frets: 304
    edited September 2018
    octatonic said:
    antonyiv said:

It looked like this,

I own this guitar ^^^

That's the one that I played:

I really dig more the black pickguard on yours.
  • tekbow said:

How's that neck joint for access? sometimes it looks quite sleek, then other times from different angles, it looks quite chunky.

Very smooth with easy access to the upper frets. Probably the best neck joint I've ever tried. 
    antonyiv said:
    tekbow said:

Very smooth with easy access to the upper frets. Probably the best neck joint I've ever tried. 

Is the neck sunk into the heel rather then sitting flat on the ledge? was it a 2 bolt model you tired?
  • I use two TA Cobras, a T and an S. Once you live with them for a while you start to appreciate the fact that you don't need to tune it all night, intonation is perfect, you can abuse the trem, your hands don't get tired. I still use my Strat occasionally but need to tune it after two songs. You can swap out the pickups if you feel the need, I've got a SD '59 in the neck of my Cobra T and a TV Jones in the bridge. Biting and smooth in equal measures...
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14538
    tFB Trader
    I use two TA Cobras, a T and an S. Once you live with them for a while you start to appreciate the fact that you don't need to tune it all night, intonation is perfect, you can abuse the trem, your hands don't get tired. I still use my Strat occasionally but need to tune it after two songs. You can swap out the pickups if you feel the need, I've got a SD '59 in the neck of my Cobra T and a TV Jones in the bridge. Biting and smooth in equal measures...
    I've sold a few new Anderson's over the years and have to admit that IMO the Cobra is the best of the best - maybe the scale length and maybe the mahogany body but I find them very nice with great sonic tonal character
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33871
    antonyiv said:
    octatonic said:
    antonyiv said:

It looked like this,

I own this guitar ^^^

I bought my one from World Guitars, which I see is where you posted the photo from.

Here is a less blingy photo- World Guitars do great photos but it isn't really how they look in the real world.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

the Cobra is the designation given to their guitars wih 24.75" scale length but in Fender styles?

Very Valley Arts.

• octatonic said:
    antonyiv said:
    octatonic said:
    antonyiv said:

It looked like this,

I own this guitar ^^^

I bought my one from World Guitars, which I see is where you posted the photo from.

Here is a less blingy photo- World Guitars do great photos but it isn't really how they look in the real world.

So actually they look quite different. The one I tried was Satin Blue finish. I think yours is maybe Atlantic Storm? 
  • tekbow said:

the Cobra is the designation given to their guitars wih 24.75" scale length but in Fender styles?

Very Valley Arts.

Exactly. Same applies for the Raven model.