Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So, I've played a Tom Anderson today

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• tekbow said:
    antonyiv said:
    tekbow said:

How's that neck joint for access? sometimes it looks quite sleek, then other times from different angles, it looks quite chunky.

Very smooth with easy access to the upper frets. Probably the best neck joint I've ever tried. 

Is the neck sunk into the heel rather then sitting flat on the ledge? was it a 2 bolt model you tired?
    It's the new two bolt design:

It is sunk into the heel. Almost feels like set-in neck. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Ah, Ok, that's very cool.
  • westwest Frets: 996
    Wedgie ....
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2612
    edited September 2018
    tekbow said:

the Cobra is the designation given to their guitars wih 24.75" scale length but in Fender styles?

Very Valley Arts.

Not really. Several Fenderish models are available either in Fender or Gibson scale, the Gibson scale ones called short to distinguish them: short t, short classic, short Raven, short drop top etc. Cobras are all short scale but I think the t-style cobra is almost more Gibson than Fender, usually two buckers as well as Gibson scale. The Cobra S is a bit more Stratty.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    edited September 2018
    antonyiv said:

So actually they look quite different. The one I tried was Satin Blue finish. I think yours is maybe Atlantic Storm? 
    Yes my one is Satin Atlantic Storm.

It will come as no surprise that I love Anderson guitars.
    I think they are the best made factory guitars on the planet.
    I own 5 of them and have plans to keep collecting them as funds allow.

The A Wedgie is a brilliant innovation and I simply don't understand the 'sterile' criticism.
    There was a period where I swapped Anderson pickups out- I don't really did the H1/2/3 pickups, but the HF's are excellent and I buy guitars with those pickups in them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I love them, had a few, just got a shorty Raven left, it’s probably the guitar I’d recommend people to try out more than any other. 
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    It seems to me that any guitar that doesn't have a stereotypical characteristic sound, usually either fender or Gibson like, is accused of sterility.

PRS gets it, ibanez gets it, TA gets it.

Rubbish, they're not sterile. They just don't sound like a Gibson or fender.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I personally think it’s an appreciation thing with higher end guitars. As with so many of the finer things you have to understand them if your only point of reference is crap metaphically speaking then you have to grow into it.

If you drink Tesco plonk and someone gives you a vintage bottle of Latour you will probably think what a con but understand it and you will appreciate it.

I was exactly the same when I went to the old acoustic guitar place in Brighton my only high end point of reference was perhaps top end Martin or Taylor now take a 10 or 15k luthier made fine instrument it took me a few visits and a bit of pondering to understand the Beauty of a Baskin ooo v a factory produced Martin ooo.

i often think these things are a learning curve.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rule of diminishing returns means it's up to you to decide tbh. If you think it's worth it, then go for. Otherwise, look elsewhere.
  • Why do they have two strap buttons on the bottom? It's weird
    So they can be propped against an amp without falling over.

Schecter did it first - IIRC TA used to be with Schecter in their early days.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2406
    Why do they have two strap buttons on the bottom? It's weird
    To stop them falling over. when propped against an amp. 

Whenever I see the old Anderson's are sterile nonsense on the net, I always revisit this guys videos on Insta. 
    Great player, great tone (Its a hollow bodied T)

https://www.instagram.com/hoelsveen/
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    tekbow said:
    It seems to me that any guitar that doesn't have a stereotypical characteristic sound, usually either fender or Gibson like, is accused of sterility.

PRS gets it, ibanez gets it, TA gets it.

Rubbish, they're not sterile. They just don't sound like a Gibson or fender.
    Yep, my PRS Custom 22 is one of the most resonant electrics I’ve ever played. It’s a joy unplugged, it just sings. 
    So they can be propped against an amp without falling over.

Schecter did it first - IIRC TA used to be with Schecter in their early days.
    That's cool! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Try a Vigier.  IMO much better than the Andersons I’ve played.  You can see what you get for your money, where an Anderson is just a posh strat IMO
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom