SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD - 1959 Gibson ES-225, twin P90'S, with 5 latch Lifton case - £4250

What's Hot
DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
edited October 2018 in Guitars £
I'm considering selling this baby - I probably have too many guitars, and spend most of my time picking them up and swapping them around, to the detriment of learning anything! I won't waffle on about it because the pics say it all. It's as good as it looks, with only a few minor marks. I've only posted a few pics, but I have 14 at the moment, and will be happy to send them to anyone that's interested, and to have a chat about it. The case is not original to the guitar, but is a period correct Lifton 5 latch, worth (amazingly) about £500 by itself, although I do have a hard shell Yamaha case which fits it well that will come with it as well. I wanted one because I'm a big fan of Buddy Holly and (forgetting reissues etc) this is the nearest that I could get to him by buying the model of guitar that his rhythm guitarist, Niki Sullivan, played. 

I play very softly (bedroom player) but I've heard this cranked up at Richard Henry's studio recently, and it can give it hell! The build quality is excellent, the controls work perfectly, and it sounds great, with a low action. I'm selling it reluctantly to raise money for an L-5 - I have other guitars for sale, and although there's interest, no-one's bought them yet, so... :-(

I know around £4k is a fairly significant chunk of cash (well, it is for me!), so I could consider a p/ex as long as at least £2k came my way - 335 type stuff, Custom Shop Tele maybe, Gibson archtops, etc, maybe a Martin 000-18, Gibson L-00, Les Paul R6 Gold Top or '54 reissue, you know the sort of thing. If you like the look of it, let's have a chat - more pics and loads of chat available on request! Cheers, Dave

Call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    edited September 2018
    Just a couple more pics including a headstock shot - if it looks like there's a chunk missing, I can assure you that its a trick of the light! :-)

Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Have a Sunday bump because it’s tasty
    Bless you guv'nor. It's in astonishing condition for it's age, much like myself. Although the guitar's condition is astonishing in a good way, which is the difference. 
    Call me Dave.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6083
    What a beautiful guitar. The L-5 must be something special to consider moving this one on. glws.
    Thanks - it's a Custom Shop L-5 Signature, to be exact, and it does the job of two or three of my other guitars - I wouldn't say that it was better than the ES-225, but it's nice! I don't play the ES-225 all that much, although it's really good to play, as I have a few others. I'm also reacting a bit to @dindude 's recent post in which he said that sentimentality shouldn't matter, and I thought they were wise words, and decided to only keep the ones that are sort of 'go to guitars', and possibly try and keep only one (or two!) of the same style of guitar. Even if they're vintage (and I'm even thinking about selling my 1956 blonde ES-5 mont condition Switchmaster!), they do need to be something that I'm playing. The theory's not working perfectly, but it's a start! 

Call me Dave.
    bump
    Call me Dave.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6083
    DB1 said:
    bump
    I wish you'd stop doing that.  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2018
    I think you should buy it, and then I'll stop! :-)  I left it alone for a few days because I did indeed sell the ES-5 Switchmaster that is now residing at @ATB_Guitars beauty salon! I didn't leave empty handed though, because I came back with an ES-300 from 1948 (which is sensational!) and a 1968 blonde ES-330, which is a bit more telling, because it pretty well directly replaced the ES-225.

Trying to live with my (loose) policy of not having too many things that are too similar, I feel a bit more comfortable about selling this baby. There's a chap that's very keen on it (and seems to be a guitaraholic!) and very genuine, but it's a 250 mile round trip for me to show it, as he isn't able to do the distance. I don't mind, but I'm dropping off a Gretsch in Cambs on Saturday, and have to get back home, so it would have to be a Sunday jaunt. 
    Call me Dave.
    Now on hold - looks like the Sunday delivery after all, but it's going to an enthusiast, so that's great. I shall be sorry to lose it, but if it goes to a good home, c'est la vie. 
    Call me Dave.
    Sold and delivered to Twickenham to a lovely guy (and occasional forummer,) and an enthusiast that makes my GAS obsession look like a mild interest. Hope you're very happy with it - it's a lovely guitar! 
    Call me Dave.