Fender Special Strat

HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15987
anybuddy seen one up close....what are they like...and what is the price for a clean used job?

Talk to me
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9737
    I assume you mean the American Special? They look good (if you don't mind the large Headstock), and sound good (if you don't mind the Texas Specials which aren't to everybody's taste). No idea what a decent used one would set you back. 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15987
    What is it with the Texas special that folk don't like?
    tae be or not tae be
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 616
    I like the large 70s headstock. I have the surf green and it is great feeling and the Texas specials sound fine. Feels same as most USA seats and I don't notice the extra wood on the end of the neck. A great special was on here for £475 recently. You can see them around 500 to 600. Very nice strats.
  • If you like the CBS era style headstock, frets are a little chunky compared to the standard. Fit and finish is excellent on most. Used will set you back c. 500. I actually traded mine for a standard as I couldn't get on with the tall frets, so I would try before you buy
    I'm a Grade 4 bedroom guitarist, never played live, who seems to think he needs 5 guitars.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12420
    I didn't like the Texas specials in my roadworn. Okay with gain but not clean. A used roadworn is I think better than a us special. 
  • Texas Specials a bit raucous compared with vintage style pickups. I love them; others may not :)
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • I really liked the one I've played, aside from the fact that it was brown.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 420
    edited September 2018
    As mentioned by the others, if the jumbo frets and Texas Special pickups work for you then they are great.

I've got an American Special Tele and it is a seriously brilliant guitar. Maybe I got lucky but it was by far the best Tele in the shop when I tried it alongside 4 or 5 others in the £400-700 range.
  • Acquired an American Special tele last month. 
    I know its not a strat, but maybe it'll help. 

Heres my take. 
    Its a damn fine instrument. 
    A big step up from the Mim Standard teles I had previously. (Disclaimer, I never got to try Fenders old Mexican standard line, only the player series) so again I'm not the best for being able to compare. I know people are very fond of the Mexican line, I just had a shitty experience is all. 

I did a lot of reading, and the general consensus praises it.
    Though it seems there are varying opinions on why its cheaper than a Standard.  

Some people say the Specials are if anything, just slightly below the Standard in terms of having time spent being worked on, so maybe little less polished than the Standards.
    Makes sense. 

Others say its practically on par with Standards but its cheaper because it doesnt come with a hard case. 
    Makes sense. 

Some people however, claim its either made in America but by Mexicans.. (which is silly, like they'll have a special corner in Corona for less skilled Mexicans to make Fenders cheapest Mia guitars...

Others have said they're put together in America but with Mexican parts.. or assembled in America with American parts but sent to Mexico to be assembled and sprayed. 

Maybe a small truth somewhere in that last aspect for Fenders old Highway One line, from what info I could dig up.. but I'm no expert. 

Regardless, the Tele I have is lovely. 
    The fit and finish is great, nothing has worked itself loose. 
    Everything seems well put together and sturdy. 

What I mean by that is, on previous cheaper lines, I've found the screws that affix scratchplate/bridge etc to the body, have hardly bitten into the body's wood at all. Can attempt to tighten them but the screw just turns forever. 

As far as I know the strat would be the same as the tele in terms of having a slightly rolled fretboard edge, and a satin fingerboard on maple models, not high gloss. 

It seems the Satin fingerboard is well liked, but what people are put off by is either the Jumbo frets, Texas Specials or headstock size. 

Personally I quite like the texas specials from my use so far. But predominantly I'm a higher gain player, and I've really not played about with my amp settings with these pickups yet lol!! 

I have a feeling they are a hotter pickup than say a lot of strat or tele players would usually go for? 

Overall from what I read, a lot of guys who have had Specials, find it hard to justify the price increase to the Standards. 

Maybe theres some correlation to its 'marmite features' and its lower price? 
    Seems strange in a way. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • I think the truss rod is different too. 
    Its not dual action.. if that means anything.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15987
    thanks all :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • They have a 6 screw "vintage" type bridge too, not the 2 post type.
    I don't like the CBS head, but I think the Texas Specials are very good, lots of crank, but they're not screaming high gain if that makes sense. I'd be surprised if anyone thought the bridge pickup was like an like an ice-pick, which some say about other Strats. Not something I've ever found, but I've had bridge pickups that were just thin & lifeless, I'd be surprised if anyone thought that of the TS's.
    FWIW I think @skunkwerx Tele is one of the best looking production Tele's I've seen in some time (the TS's in a Tele are great as well)
  • Just back from trying a pair of these in my local shop.  Have always hankered for the look of a big headstock Strat.

The HSS one was quite a good guitar, though a good set up, and particularly a nut tweak, would be essential to stay in tune for more than a few seconds (was this really a Gibson?).  The SSS had rusty strings with a set up an eighties Hondo would think below par (unless slicing cucumbers is the goal).  With both, the necks didn't quite match the bodies, a distinct step/overhang in the hand for both.

The finish on each was excellent, glass smooth on the bodies, with a tactile satin finish on the necks, good, tall, fretwork and well finished 'boards (I tried the RW versions).  They were a bit above average weight wise, though not excessive.

The hardware was standard big F stuff and in good order, though I think the vintage style bridge appeared to have a zinc block (the bridge was quite high/forward on one), is this a low price Mex bridge I wonder?  It didn't seem to offer any issues, though without a trem arm on the shop floor it's not too easy to test in action, beyond a quick tune wrecking tug.

The sounds were rather good, a warm strat (in tone - rather than output), well rounded and resonant; definately a Strat, but less shrill than some can be; more Hendrix/Blackmore than SRV/Knopfler/Rory.  The bridge pickup matched well on the SSS, but was very loud and overpowering in the HSS version - though it sounded excellent in isolation, not dark or harsh at all, maybe backing it off would offer a better balance - it was very close to the strings.

Overall, quite an average impression.  Neither felt like £800+ guitars, though with new strings and a good set up they might feel like competitive £500 guitars.  I came away empty handed, having entered with the opposite plan.
  • I had an American special strat. It was a lovely guitar, didn't feel like it was cheaper than an American standard. I px'd mine against my DGT. I saw my old american special at the Birmingham guitar show on @guitars4you stand. I was tempted!
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • Another +1 for the texas specials, I love them in my Tele and the strats I've played sound great with them too. My classic strat sounds a bit too polite in comparison.
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    There have been a few American Special 'FSR' editions with the smaller headstock and some other nice changes.

I had one of these Violin Burst Strats from Thomann a few years ago and it also had American Standard pickups, not the usual Texas Specials.