Not sure if I like my guitar!

What's Hot
Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
So it was my 30th birthday back in June and, as an early birthday present, I treated myself to a USA Fender Strat. Tobacco burst, cream pickguard, two point tremolo, rosewood fretboard. Really nice guitar.

And for a few weeks I didn't really bond with it. Wasn't really getting into the sound or the feel. I put a hotter pickup in the bridge and I felt more interested and for a while I quite enjoyed playing it. But now, I'm not sure again. I just don't get on with it. The neck feels too slim and I prefer a fatter, heavier sound. To be honest I play with a lot of distortion anyway.

I picked up a Mexican JM with humbuckers a short while after and I actually like this a lot more. The neck is CHUNKY and the sound does it for me more.

So... what do I do? This guitar was supposed to be a special birthday instrument marking a special occasion but I'm not even sure how I feel about it. Don't dislike it but don't love it. Do I sell it? Do I try to find something I love better? Am I about to go down a rabbit hole from which I may never return!?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10278
    Hi mate. I’d say do what most of us do. If you aren’t bonding with it move it on. You could put the cash towards something you really want. 

It’s worth noting that with guitars we all go through many, many different models before we find the ones that stay with us.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    I'm being kind here but you have already made your mind up. Let it go and get something you really enjoy. 
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited September 2018
    Sounds like decision made.

Alternative to selling, if you can be bothered, is switching the neck. Plenty options for alternate necks on eBay. If its a modern spec US fender it may be routed for humbuckers already so those could be changed.
  • Sell it, the feeling of relief when you've flipped it is immense. 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3602
    Or keep it and buy another. then flip the ''other'' until you find one you cant put down, then you wont feel too bad about selling the one you have now. And remember, it isnt about spending loads of cash, its about finding the right guitar.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    edited September 2018
    Hehe I was also 30 in July and bought a Usa Fender (albeit months later) while being predominantly a 'metal' or gainy player. 

I like that its such a different guitar though to my usual Esp ltd Explorer with Its active humbuckers and rosewood board. So I know I'll always use it.

So far so good, but I'm still reserving the 'this is my 30th' stamp for another month, just incase anything goes wrong. Lol. 

There must be something about reaching 30 and deciding on an American made Fender though.. 

Is this our version of a mid life? 

I get what you mean though. You want to love it because its supposed to mark your 30th, and if there was contributions towards it, no doubt you feel guilty or bad thinking about moving it on. 

That aspect would make it hard for me. 

Probably 4 or so years ago I got back into playing properly and for my birthday got an Ltd ex-50. I loved it, but after fettling and swapping pickups etc, I realised there was a couple weird issues. Strange harmonic type, wolf tones almost that would sound even after releasing the note.. weird stuff. 

I felt terrible because my mum, dad and sis all chipped in and got it for me, but in the end I sold it and put that money directly toward the Ex-360 (its bigger brother) in the same colour from the same shop, in the hopes my guilt would subside because it was basically the exact same guitar but better. 

I still feel a bit shit about it actually, because I don't think I ever told them.. I can't actually remember. 
    Then again I'm not very good at being ruthless with sentimental gifts. 

I guess it was fundamentally the guitar for me though.. hence the upgrade to the exact same thing. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1964
    I went on a Stratocaster hunt for a year and ended up with a G&L George Fullerton Signature and it was great, so much so that I bought another; however, it turns out that I'm more of a Les Paul/Superstrat guy and I'll not return to single coils, unless they're P90s.

When I used to play bass, I noticed the neck profile being the first thing that I checked, as I end up discarding the instrument if it didn't fit my hand.

My biggest loss on a guitar to date was a GJ2/Friedman, due to the wide/thin neck profile and how it used to cramp my hand after a few barre chord songs - I bought that thing new and it just sat in the corner while I played my G&L or Yamaha.

It sucks, but it happens and unless the guitar is £3K, you're not expecting absolute perfection, which is why I returned a PRS and not the GJ2/Friedman - I was still unsure during the honey moon period.

I would sell or trade it - All part of the ongoing search/disease.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    I see many Strats of different starting price points/Squiers/copies that come my way via students. Nearly every one sounds characterless and dull. They aren't helped by the fact that many of them have rubbish starter amps and no pedals either to help craft any usuable tone. A good strat is harder to find than you'd think - even with the mass of variants flooding the market.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

By the time you're 40 you won't even remember your 30th birthday...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I did similar for my 30th. After a very long session trying basically every dread in Guitar Village I ended up with a Gibson Dove, which was a marvellous instrument. After 18 months or so I realised that a Martin would suit me a little better, so bought an HD28 and sold the Dove over the course of the following 6 months. 

I realised that the thing I really cherished as the "gift" was opportunity to go to a shop and try *everything*, and take home whatever fitted. Selling the Dove didn't diminish that experience, and I now have a guitar that suits me even better than what was the best guitar in the shop on the day.  

My only regret is that I couldn't keep both.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    Thank you very much ladies and gents! Ten replies and all saying roughly the same thing: sell it and try something else. @ICBM I think your comments are very valid as it was entirely my choice of instrument and I don't have any family members invested in it. @skunkwerx "reserving the 30th stamp" is a really good idea. Even if I sell this on and buy something else, the 'something else' can be my 30th birthday guitar!

Thanks again everyone.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    see I got a tele for my 50th (also July just gone) it is my favourite guitar and it has been played every day - the answer to most guitar questions is usually a telecaster ;))
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom