I cant sell it!

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3581
Guys, thinking it wasn't for me, and because I bought it by mistake, and because I dont like Strats much, and because I had just bought an Epi Lp , and because blah blah blah, I put my Aria (yes , an Aria) up for sale, but since then I haven't been able to put it down, and the more I play it the better it gets! Im making a mistake selling this, arnt I?
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10276
    Only you can answer this question my friend!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16776
    Sounds like you need more time with it, give it 3 months
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The worst thing you can do when you decide to sell a guitar is pick it up and play it again.  There's some weird magnetism that kind of convinces you to keep it :D.

Though, like Wez said, try bonding with it for a few months and see where it goes from there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72598
    Keep it. It’s a better guitar than its financial value, and not easy to find another one if you regret selling it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3581
    I dunno guys, It might be a placebo thing but I dont feel like it is, Im getting feedback from this guitar that ive never got before, it might be the 7.25 radius, this is the first time ive ever played one.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16776
    You will know either way after a bit more time has passed.
    ICBM said:
    Keep it. It’s a better guitar than its financial value, and not easy to find another one if you regret selling it.
    I think your right, I was trying to get the funds together for a Les Paul Tribute but they are two a penny and I will always have that option.
  • Listen and you will hear it calling.. 

'Robgilmo' it says, 'Don't let me go'
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    robgilmo said:
    it might be the 7.25 radius, this is the first time ive ever played one.
    Well that was your problem in the first place - you bought a guitar and never played it  ;)
  • I think ICBM is bang on. Arias are generally far better than any money you can make from them. I could get one from a local second-hand shop for the equivalent of about 50 quid, if I wanted to (I paid 8400 yen for the one I actually got, which is now 56 quid), which means that the vendor won't have got more than a pony. I got my Aria MA strat when I was looking for a cheap Tele, and I only tried it for comparison's sake. But it completely blew away the two Teles (Bacchus and Squier) I was comparing it to, so I got it instead.

I'd decide a price of what it's actually worth to you, and make sure you don't sell it for less than that. I very much doubt you'll sell it. If you do, you're quids in.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4942
    I don't understand the question - you have a guitar you like and you don't understand why you don't want to sell it?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If you enjoy it, keep it. Life's too short! :)
    edited September 2018
    Yes, some Arias are starting to become quite valuable now, along with a few of the other Matsumoku-made brands - SB1000 basses especially, which is slightly frustrating as I had one as my first bass back in about 1986, and now I might want another one they've got very expensive...

I don't think their copies like this Strat will ever be worth a lot though - they're neither close enough to a Fender (not even a 70s one) to be attractive in the way that a Tokai is, nor distinctive enough in their own right. But they are reasonably high quality - pickups aside usually.

One problem that you will find is that if you want to fit a 5-way switch, you can't - not without hacking the pickguard or making a new one - because the switch is shorter than the standard one. You *can* find 5-way short frame switches, but they are extremely rare - I have one in my '84 Aria RS Standard, but I don't have any more spares left.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I think , looking at this, that if the switch throw is the same distance I might be able to modify a standard 5 way with new screw holes, it shouldn't be too hard to drill and tap one to accommodate the shorter screw spacing, shorter screws might be needed but it doesnt look like a difficult job. Providing the switch in mine is the same as the Greco.

https://i.imgur.com/VqrKv0Z.png

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1958
    I think @tone1 has been dethroned and that Aria is the new angry Angus.
    robgilmo said:
    I think , looking at this, that if the switch throw is the same distance I might be able to modify a standard 5 way with new screw holes, it shouldn't be too hard to drill and tap one to accommodate the shorter screw spacing, shorter screws might be needed but it doesnt look like a difficult job. Providing the switch in mine is the same as the Greco.
    Comparing the switches I have, I think you'll need to lengthen the slot in the guard slightly too (or maybe just slope the ends of it), or the switch won't go fully into the end positions. Much less horrible-looking than drilling new holes in the guard though, which is the usual way it's done.

edited September 2018
    Ill have a look, I measured it against my Baja and if thats the same as a 5 way I think you might be right. It will sit in-between positions but I will have to play about with that, I tried it last night briefly and it didn't deliver the strat quack sound that my last strat delivered, but It might be a case of dialing in the tone nobs or something.

I might have a look inside the switch itself, perhaps I can add a detent in there somewhere so it will click into position. Then there is this,  but Im not sure.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vtg-Aria-Electric-Guitar-Original-5-Way-Selector-Switch/401606600176?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160727114228&meid=0b9e2abcd6c7449bbd7d00a0174050b4&pid=100290&rk=3&rkt=4&sd=192673299256&itm=401606600176&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507
    robgilmo said:
    Ill have a look, I measured it against my Baja and if thats the same as a 5 way I think you might be right. It will sit in-between positions but I will have to play about with that, I tried it last night briefly and it didn't deliver the strat quack sound that my last strat delivered, but It might be a case of dialing in the tone nobs or something.
    That's probably the pickups, they're not great unfortunately.

robgilmo said:
    Don't bother, that's a dreadful switch - it will fit, but it has nothing else going for it.

The proper type can't be modded for two extra notches I don't think - it's rivetted together and you can't get at the rotor. It's a really nice quality mechanism actually.

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1958
    edited September 2018