Changing tuner buttons on a PRS CE24....

What's Hot
I’ve recently bought a CE24 and it’s a 2016 model, so will have a Korean bridge and tuners.

Apparently, there’s no benefit in changing the tuners themselves, but I want to change the buttons purely for looks, and I want to go with real wood.

Does anyone have a definitive answer to which i need?

The guy from Crazyparts says I need the buttons that will fit PRS Phase 3/SE tuners.
I’ve also had someone say that Schaller M6 buttons in standard size are the ones to go for.

Any help?
I don’t have a gambling problem, I’m winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That’s like saying that Iron Maiden have an awesomeness problem.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Go on prs U.K. spares site. 
  • grungebob said:
    Go on prs U.K. spares site. 
    It isn’t helping answer my question in the slightest.
    I don’t have a gambling problem, I’m winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That’s like saying that Iron Maiden have an awesomeness problem.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7838
    edited September 2018
    I fitted a set of Schallers to my Mira s2 (assume it has the same tuners) and they fit perfectly. I really dont like that the originals also look slightly oversized. 

https://www.touchstonetonewoods.co.uk/products/guitars-and-fretted-instruments/machine-heads-/-tuners/electric/schaller-machine-head-button-ebony-set-of-6-55861425638384/
  • GodlykepowerGodlykepower Frets: 174
    edited September 2018
    I fitted a set of Schallers to my Mira s2 (assume it has the same tuners) and they fit perfectly. 

They look the same. Did you get the large or small Schaller buttons though?
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7838
    edited September 2018
    Link above in my post, they are likely the small
  • The link has two sizes!

I don’t suppose you could whip out a ruler and measure the width and height of a button?
    Large would be 23mm x 16.5mm
    Small would be 18.5mm x 14.5mm
  • I’ve recently bought a CE24 ... Apparently, there’s no benefit in changing the tuners themselves.
    I beg to differ.

Mira s2 (I assume it has the same tuners
    It doesn't. IMO, the S2 series Phase 3 style efforts are not much better than the Jin-Ho items on the SE. The gear housings on the latter are bigger than the S2 type and have a lug for a locator screw.

My PRS SE guitars now all sport Gotoh SG381 machineheads. If any of them had a vibrato, I would have chosen the Gotoh Magnum Lock 'heads. These directly retrofit. Thus, in the event that you ever decide to sell the CE24, the modification can be reversed.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebob said:
    They have the specs/sizes for SE,S2 and core on there, from that you can work out what you need.
    But it does require reading it yourself. 
  • grungebob said:
    grungebob said:
    They have the specs/sizes for SE,S2 and core on there, from that you can work out what you need.
    But it does require reading it yourself. 
    Alright, no need to be a smart arse.

I can’t for the life of me see anywhere that has specs and sizes for the tuner buttons.
  • @Funkfingers My replies to you somehow need approving before they show up?

Are you saying that there are some tuners that will directly drop into a CE24 without modification?

I just looked up the Gotoh’s and they all have screws to attach to the back of the headstock, my ne has the pins.
  • @Funkfingers My replies to you somehow need approving before they show up?
    Que?

Are you saying that there are some tuners that will directly drop into a CE24 without modification?

I just looked up the Gotohs and they all have screws to attach to the back of the headstock, my one has the pins.
    My mistake. I was thinking of the SE Series.

My experience of Core PRS guitars is all on older examples. With one exception, these all left the factory with the "wing collar" 'heads, fastened by five screws. The one exception has keystone Kluson-alikes.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • @Funkfingers When I quoted you in a reply, a thing came up at the bottom saying my comment will appear after it’s been approved.

All this has done, has confuse me more! The picture above, you said they are Phase 3s? Aren’t Phase 3s the open geared set? The tuners on the CE certainly look just like the ones above.
  • The link has two sizes!

I don’t suppose you could whip out a ruler and measure the width and height of a button?
    Large would be 23mm x 16.5mm
    Small would be 18.5mm x 14.5mm
    Just measured and they are the small size.
  • I’ve recently bought a CE24 ... Apparently, there’s no benefit in changing the tuners themselves.
    I beg to differ.

It doesn't. IMO, the S2 series Phase 3 style efforts are not much better than the Jin-Ho items on the SE. The gear housings on the latter are bigger than the S2 type and have a lug for a locator screw.

My PRS SE guitars now all sport Gotoh SG381 machineheads. If any of them had a vibrato, I would have chosen the Gotoh Magnum Lock 'heads. These directly retrofit. Thus, in the event that you ever decide to sell the CE24, the modification can be reversed.
    Are you saying that the Gotoh’s ARE an upgrade, and will drop right in without modifications?
    I beg to differ.

Will the Gotoh’s just drop right in without drilling and modification?
    I beg to differ.

Are you saying that the Gotoh’s ARE an upgrade, and will drop right in without modifications?
    I beg to differ.

Will the Gotoh’s just drop right in without drilling and modification?
  • Right, I have confirmation from PRS themselves that the tuners on a 2016 model CE are the Phase 3/Gotoh ones.

Just ordered a set of Rosewood buttons from Crazyparts, and an upgraded trem from Wudtone.