What to do with a broken pickup?

What's Hot
I'm putting new pickups in my Performance, and selling what was in there... a chap in Colchester bought the JB off me last week for £40, but has tested it and one of the coils isn't working.

I've looked at rewind prices online and they're around £50... with the cost of the pickup, someone would be spending about the same as getting a new JB... so my pickup is really not worth selling now.

What would you do with it? I have no need for it, but it seems a shame to throw it away...
Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'd have one of our resident pickup gurus have a look as it could be a simple repair rather than a full rewind.
    Or you could always put it up for sale at a nominal amount for a tinkerer to have a go at fixing it or use it for spares.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4202
    edited September 2018
    Wez is the man for pickups isn't he? Is there anyone else?

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72610
    Don’t throw it away - even if it’s not worth rewinding, find someone who will buy it as-is. A humbucker with a dead coil can be repaired by swapping it for the good coil out of another dead humbucker :).

If you want to be adventurous they don’t even have to be the same type of humbucker... this is how one of the most famous DIY pickups was made - George Lynch’s original which the Duncan Screamin’ Demon is based on was a Gibson pickup with one DiMarzio coil. (Or possibly the other way round, I forget which!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16779
    Wez is the man for pickups isn't he? Is there anyone else?
    Not me    I have wound enough to know it's one job I am happy paying others to do
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72610
    @TheGuitarWeasel, @Alegree, possible others I don't know here...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2316
    I sold a WRHB with a (declared) open-circuit coil on here. There are people who are happy to buy them and work on them.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10663
    tFB Trader
    I'm putting new pickups in my Performance, and selling what was in there... a chap in Colchester bought the JB off me last week for £40, but has tested it and one of the coils isn't working.

I've looked at rewind prices online and they're around £50... with the cost of the pickup, someone would be spending about the same as getting a new JB... so my pickup is really not worth selling now.

What would you do with it? I have no need for it, but it seems a shame to throw it away...
    30 quid to rewind one coil from me plus P&P
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Fridge magnet.

Seriously, I have a broken MIM Fender Jazz Bass pickup that wasn’t worth fixing on my fridge. Very powerful. £30 to rewind something like a JB sounds worth doing though.
  • ICBM said:
    A humbucker with a dead coil can be repaired by swapping it for the good coil out of another dead humbucker :). this is how one of the most famous DIY pickups was made 
    It is also how the Seymour Duncan SH-16 '59/Custom hybrid humbucker was created.

SD user group forum member, BachToRock, wanted to combine some of the characteristics of the SH-1 '59 and SH-5 Custom pickups. He put one coil from each model on the same baseplate. Result, a great humbucker for HSS Superstrats. Coil splitting to the higher output coil makes for a better balance with a traditional 6k middle position single coil.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1685
    edited September 2018
    The timing of this post is uncanny, I was restringing an old guitar today and discovered a weak pickup, have taken it to bits to discover a dead coil. The information here is very helpful.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4201
    I have an old Fender Custom Shop RWRP Strat pickup thats dead if anyone wants it for a tenner plus postage 

• sweepy said:
    I have an old Fender Custom Shop RWRP Strat pickup thats dead if anyone wants it for a tenner plus postage 

And once the buyer has returned it to me, I'll have a Seymour Duncan JB that someone can make me an offer on...

• pm'd you @TheGuitarWeasel ;
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?