NGD - not what you'd expect...

ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
So. It turns out that at 43 I'm not quite as good at skateboarding as I was when I was 23. This is evidenced by the lovely blue cast immobilising my lower right arm and a 5 year old smugly telling everyone he didn't fall off like Daddy did.

Not wishing to fast track the relicing on my Les Pauls with the aid of the cast I had a quick mooch about for something I could use to help strengthen up my bloody sore left hand (jury was out on whether that is broken too but I didn't stick around to end up with both arms in plaster...). I found this lovely thing on a Facebook group and am VERY impressed...

The neck feels a million miles long, and I am still tuning the wrong string at the wrong time - but the sound is lovely. The three P90s give a wide variety of tones, aided further by the varitone control. Sustain is fantastic and the trem doesn't bugger the tuning too much. I even like the weirdness of the shape. 

Just keeping on eye on how much chamfering happens to the upper body as I try and strum with a rigid right wrist...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I like the look of that. Its like a reverse firebird/explorer/jazzmaster hybrid
    Is it heavy?

I'm guessing the bridge is an after market replacement? It looks like a wilkinson roller. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    I like the look of that. Its like a reverse firebird/explorer/jazzmaster hybrid
    Is it heavy?

I'm guessing the bridge is an after market replacement? It looks like a wilkinson roller. 
    It’s a stock bridge - the whole design is one of Trevor Wilkinson’s.

It is definitely a bit weighty, but that suits the whole feel of the thing!
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8800
    Cripes: are you going all hipster on us?

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    JerkMoans said:

Errr. Maybe. Can I get a skinny decaf mocha latte flat white with that?
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8800
    ellwood said:
    JerkMoans said:

Organic Fairtrade?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • I always liked those; I almost bought one from the first run (15 years ago, maybe?) but the dealer tried to tell me the fitted case was not included and would be an extra hundred quid...
    JerkMoans said:
    ellwood said:
    JerkMoans said:

Organic Fairtrade?
    Natch 
  • ellwood said:
    I like the look of that. Its like a reverse firebird/explorer/jazzmaster hybrid
    Is it heavy?

It’s a stock bridge - the whole design is one of Trevor Wilkinson’s.

It is definitely a bit weighty, but that suits the whole feel of the thing!
    That would explain that then.
    How's the finish holding up against the mighty plastercast?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3602
    Thats lurvley, Im proper digging that.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1964
    This kind of gear adds to the fun of playing

I love Thunderbirds and Stars and all that sort of thing, as long as it doesn't dig into my sternum too much, but only happens if I hunch up seated - They're the most eye catching IMO and yours has a nice 50s hot rod thing going on.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3275
    Nice nod towards the non-reverse firebird there buddy. That’s a rabbit hole I’ve been down this summer and gotta say they are great guitars once you are used to the neck feeling like it’s over there somewhere. Definitely agree on the versatility of the three p90s, does this do the strat type in between switching?

If if you decide when the cast is off that you want a real one pop me a pm (I need to fund a Paris break for Mrs Teyeplayers 30th that I stupidly suggested after a busy summer trading and gigging, doh)! ;)
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
    I was expecting one of those skateboard guitars but this is lovely :)