Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Looking for the right Les Paul - a Slash dilemma!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• If it's a guitar you will play. get the most comfortable to play that looks like something Slash played. Try out as many as you can and buy used where possible.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 994
    Just out of interest what did he use on the Appetie For Destruction album? I always thought it was a Gibson ‘copy’ fitted with Seymour Duncan pickups?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotone said:
    Just out of interest what did he use on the Appetie For Destruction album? I always thought it was a Gibson ‘copy’ fitted with Seymour Duncan pickups?
    That's what I thought too...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10595
    tFB Trader
    Thanks! I wondered how long it would be before someone would mention that Feline... as much as I would love to own that guitar and I’m convinced it’s probably the best one discussed so far, there is a 12 year old version of me that won’t settle until I have a ‘Gibson Les Paul’... if I already had one I’d buy that Feline in a heartbeat!

the R7 does seem the logical choice but there is still that urge to own a signature model! I’ve seen an R7 darkback VOS new for £3099 which seems good?
    It's ironic that the guitar that rebooted the fortunes of the Gibson Les Paul was a Les paul copy ... the the original AFD replica ... and that Gibson have made a nice bit of dosh making copies of the copies of their guitar. 

I will nail my colours to the mast and say I personally wouldn't go on stage with a 'signature model' unless it were my own signature. I'm not Slash, SRV or any of my guitar heroes, I can't play their stuff as well as they can ... but I play my own stuff perfectly adequately, so why would I want their name on my guitar? Yes I might like their tone ... hence the reason why I wound the Tubesnakes that that Feline is fitted with (or the Peter Green/Gary Moore set that's in my own Gibson LP) ... but to me, sporting another guitarist's signature guitar is like posing in front of a mirror when you were a kid, trying to be your guitar hero ... it just shows that nowadays you can afford a posher substitute for the tennis racket. :-)  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Thanks! I wondered how long it would be before someone would mention that Feline... as much as I would love to own that guitar and I’m convinced it’s probably the best one discussed so far, there is a 12 year old version of me that won’t settle until I have a ‘Gibson Les Paul’... if I already had one I’d buy that Feline in a heartbeat!

the R7 does seem the logical choice but there is still that urge to own a signature model! I’ve seen an R7 darkback VOS new for £3099 which seems good?
    It's ironic that the guitar that rebooted the fortunes of the Gibson Les Paul was a Les paul copy ... the the original AFD replica ... and that Gibson have made a nice bit of dosh making copies of the copies of their guitar. 

I will nail my colours to the mast and say I personally wouldn't go on stage with a 'signature model' unless it were my own signature. I'm not Slash, SRV or any of my guitar heroes, I can't play their stuff as well as they can ... but I play my own stuff perfectly adequately, so why would I want their name on my guitar? Yes I might like their tone ... hence the reason why I wound the Tubesnakes that that Feline is fitted with (or the Peter Green/Gary Moore set that's in my own Gibson LP) ... but to me, sporting another guitarist's signature guitar is like posing in front of a mirror when you were a kid, trying to be your guitar hero ... it just shows that nowadays you can afford a posher substitute for the tennis racket. :-)  
    Mabye but sometimes the signature option is just the one with the specs and vibe that you’re after.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10595
    edited October 2018 tFB Trader
    TINMAN82 said:

Mabye but sometimes the signature option is just the one with the specs and vibe that you’re after.
    Then I'd simply get one of the several very fine luthiers I know to make me one that did match the specs and vibe ... most signature guitars fall into the 'premium price' bracket where having your own instrument crafted for you is a viable alternative. 
    As far as I'm aware the spec of the Slash models is pretty much a run of the mill LP with Duncan Slash pickups, some funky colours and a slash logo ... 
    Or ...buy a second hand LP of choice ... slap in some slash pickups and there you go: plenty of change left in the pocket for other goodies.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • chrishill901chrishill901 Frets: 516
    edited October 2018

This purchase is exactly that though, it’s about a 12 year old me posing in front of the mirror. I don’t need a new guitar, I need an amp more than anything, but it’s just some dumb bucket list thing I feel the urge to do, the 12 year old me wants to own a guitar Slash has played. I’ve already got an MIJ Tokai with Slash pickups and it looks a little like the VOS non-aged version of his ‘87 standard. It’s a phenomenal guitar. I just want this as well!

if it were about anything other than that I’d already own that Feline

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    go for a used R7 and buy the SD slash set for £150 on Amazon (that is an unbelievable deal) - done.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seymour-Duncan-Alnico-Slash-Set/dp/B003I3MDCO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1538818362&sr=8-1&keywords=seymour+duncan+slash

• TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846

This purchase is exactly that though, it’s about a 12 year old me posing in front of the mirror. I don’t need a new guitar, I need an amp more than anything, but it’s just some dumb bucket list thing I feel the urge to do, the 12 year old me wants to own a guitar Slash has played. I’ve already got an MIJ Tokai with Slash pickups and it looks a little like the VOS non-aged version of his ‘87 standard. It’s a phenomenal guitar. I just want this as well!

Nothing wrong with that. 
  • TINMAN82 said:

Nothing wrong with that. 
    True, until your grown up head that has to work out the bills weighs in and makes you aware that you could get more guitar for less money! But I guess it’s not about getting the best guitar, I don’t really need one, it’s about scratching that Slash itch!

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader
     But I guess it’s not about getting the best guitar, I don’t really need one, it’s about scratching that Slash itch!
    You can get tablets for that

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2171
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • you can have my rossa corsa for less than that
  •  @chrishill901 Did you find a Les Paul? If not, there is a Slash Goldtop for sale here: https://www.dba.dk/elguitar-gibson-slash-gold/id-1050604723/
  • Thanks @Kvaksalver - thats a great price too. I picked up a Les Paul Classic Goldtop in the end and put Slash pickups in it and I couldn't be happier with it!

• Surely this Derrig/Slash inspired beauty is a no-brainer ...and a brilliant price too

Yeah - £2300. Maybe I'll get 6.  ;)
    My first car cost half that  =)
  • Limehouse_BluesLimehouse_Blues Frets: 1160
    edited December 2018
    Look out for a Burny RLG 75 GR

A really solid MIJ Slash homage