Just had a full blown mains shock!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1284
    Glad you’re okay mate. I’ve had one like that just the once years ago.....I’m in no rush to experience it again!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2097
    Ouch!...assume you dont have an RCD at the board ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    spark240 said:
    Ouch!...assume you dont have an RCD at the board ?
    Sounds like he just completed the circuit and the current passed across a finger rather than to earth?

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7913

I remember changing a grill element without remembering to turn off the oven and ending up sitting on the kitchen floor holding my arm .

I also remember putting the new element in (I had to wait a few days for it arrive) and sitting on the floor holding my arm a second time. . . ;)

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5199
    edited October 2018
    I assumed you bathed in goats milk Gas?

Glad you’re ok.... =)
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3167
    edited October 2018
    ICBM said:

On a slightly more serious note, now you will know that when someone says "I want the old US mains cable and the grounding cap left in my vintage amp for originality, I don't want a new cable fitted" they simply aren't aware of the possible consequences...
    Actually illegal to do that, you can be fined or inprisoned by trading standards. Should open up a can of worms!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1972
    Had my first mains shock aged about 4.
    The most dramatic shock I've ever had was off the HV side of the ignition system of my parents first car. That felt like my arm was being yanked off....very low current I assume?
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5199
    exocet said:
    The most dramatic shock I've ever had was off the HV side of the ignition system of my parents first car. That felt like my arm was being yanked off....very low current I assume?
    Hi Voltage, low current..... lots of Fun B)  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    gringopig said:

I know now but back then I hadn't a clue and thought that it would be OK as it had been off for a week.
    Me too, on the very first valve amp I ever worked on, when I didn't know. An old 50W Marshall - one of the amps that doesn't automatically discharge its own caps when you turn off. I thought it was safe because I'd made sure it was unplugged from the wall. The cap still measured over 200V *after* it had given me a very nasty belt... that taught me a lot.

ICBM said:

On a slightly more serious note, now you will know that when someone says "I want the old US mains cable and the grounding cap left in my vintage amp for originality, I don't want a new cable fitted" they simply aren't aware of the possible consequences...
    Actually illegal to do that, you can be fined or inprisoned by trading standards. Should open up a can of worms!
    I have had arguments with potential customers about things like this... not a problem - if you don't want your amp made compliant with safety regs then I am more than happy not to work on it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    tone1 said:
    exocet said:
    Hi Voltage, low current..... lots of Fun B)  
    Danger! Danger!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3597
    Been there done that. Ouch. For good measure I was also told that the reset works but the period between resets shortens until the insert is replaced. The cost about a tenner and just slide down inside the heating element.  Two standard lengths long or short - across or down the length of the tank. 
    Turn off the power first though! 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31085
    I'm OK. I am well enough to manage to place my personal injury and malaise to one side to reluctantly skipper the MCC at Lords in the last game of the season today.

Ordinarilly, I'd have said no, but you can't let the side down....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24613
    You can feel the 50Hz frequency in a mains shock.  Most disconcerting!

I too have had HT shocks.  The worst was when I tried to stop a running car by yanking out the coil lead from the distributor cap.  4 times the number of 30KV+ shocks and unable to let go while the engine spun down.  Oweeee.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    Tickles a bit doesn’t it?! I’m a sparky and I’ve had a few shocks too. Worst was off an industrial machine which I had isolated but forgot to discharge the caps and discharged a particularly large one through myself. Knocked me off my feet and across the room.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    Gassage said:
    So, we have hot water issues. it seems our Hive do-dah isn't triggering the boiler.

And, the immersion heater was not great in any case, so Lee, the plumber came around today.

He couldn't fix it immediately, so he showed me how to reset the trip on the immersion heater in the tank.

He forgot to tell me to switch the mains off, so I reset it and promptly got a full on shock from the tank contacts at the top.

I was utterly shell shocked, like literally, and tried to explain to Alistair what had happened to which he replied

"Yes, but have we got any hot water now?"

I'm speechless!

good job you can still type though - eh!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • I've had a fair few shocks over the years. The first was probably the biggest shock (ie surprise). I was an apprentice at the time and I'd wired up a device in order to test it. I was distracted by the guy sitting next to me and had forgotten how far along I was. I placed the screwdriver into the live terminal, whilst touching the metal shaft, and got a belt off it. My elbow was resting on a conductive, earthed mat and the shock threw my whole arm backwards, causing the screwdriver to arc neatly though the air and land around 30 feet away. I had to apologise profusely to the old girl that it nearly hit. My arm hurt for the rest of the day.

Another time I had forgotten to check whether I had switched off the mains before grabbing the "electric harmonica" terminals on the back of the unit. It locked up my left hand, which I was using to remove the terminals and had to lean over and switch off the mains with my right hand. It wasn't particularly painful, but was a little scary.

The one that hurt most was from a plasma display unit. The test procedure was probably illegal and certainly dangerous, as both the mains board and 250vdc board were exposed and the only way to hold the thing to adjust it was via a small tab on the front panel. The tab was probably only around a centimetre , so not much to grab hold of. On this particular day, the thing slipped from my grip and without thinking, I grabbed it. One side of my hand got the 240vac, whilst the other side got the 250vdc. That really did hurt, and ended up blowing the circuit breaker for the whole department.

I have to say, I don't really miss working with mains!

My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom