Lawnmower recommendations

What's Hot
I suspect I'm opening a bit of a can of worms here...

Having had a new turf lawn laid in August its quadrupled our grassed area and I now realise that the crappy old mower that we inherited with this house two years ago is actually not up to the job.

The garden isn't large but I do want a grasscutter that will collect the cuttings as I go and Im not overly keen on having a petrol engine.  So its electric, cordless, via battery or even a push jobbie.

Ive looked at a few on t'internet and they all look a bit plastic and flimsy.  

So, good people, what are you using to cut your bushy lawns?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Spear & Jackson. About 10 years old now. Electric corded.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7826
    how about a robot?
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16267
    a contractor
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8838
    How big is your lawn? There are metrics somewhere about suitability of different mower types based on the area to be cut.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5317
    i will ask the bloke who cuts my grass
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    Petrol, V12. If the grass doesn't look like someone has attacked the ground with a machete then you've done it wrong.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6927
    If you can find an old electric  Mountfield Princess jump on it. Mine’s a metal deck one that looks very much like a petrol mower.

I do not exaggerate (well maybe a bit) when I say it’s built like a tank!

I’ve abused it for the last three years at my place - it’s been pushed over tree stumps, rocks shit 70’s crazy paving has eaten stones rocks and twigs as well as mowing the bumpy lawn but keeps going. I’d have totalled a plastic Argos job every year I’m convinced. 

It weighs a tonne as well do you get a bit of a workout!

That said, if you have smallish nice flat lawn with little obstacles I’m sure you probably don’t need something quite as robust. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29044
    Iamnobody said:
    If you can find an old electric  Mountfield Princess jump on it. 
    I've got one of those. 

I use a strimmer. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12484
    We’ve got a Bosch Rotrack, or some name like that. It works fine. Has a big grass box and a roller on the back, so you can do stripes if you’re bothered, which I’m not. We had a Flymo before that. It was crap. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3091
    I resisted a petrol mower for years, then bought a cheapy, no more extension leads to unravel and clean off after use, no stalling when you havent been able to mow due to the weather and its got a bit long and thick.
    Peteol push along with a wheel at each corner....
    Remove mower from shed, pull start, mow, put it away, I never did a thing to it except add fuel..lasted four years (£35 a year, plus fuel), gift it to the repair shop (for parts) when it dies..repeat.....
    I can mow the lawn with a petrol quicker than sorting the electric leads.....

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    I had a bunch of flymo types over the years - all rubbish. I bought a relatively cheap lawnmower from B&Q some years ago and it is superb. It runs on wheels and the blade is a whopping great bit of metal (none of this plastic or cord rubbish) measuring about 10" long x 2" wide. 
  • Try searching for an old Ransomes Ajax....
     the ‘Bentley’ of pushed cylinder mowers.

Works best on a truly flat turf with fine grasses, but they have a good roller and make fine stripes. It would be a bit of a work out on a larger area though

For a larger lawn, I’d reconsider a petrol mower, but either way, a cylinder cutter works best
  • randellarandella Frets: 4374
    boogieman said:
    We’ve got a Bosch Rotrack, or some name like that. It works fine. Has a big grass box and a roller on the back, so you can do stripes if you’re bothered, which I’m not. We had a Flymo before that. It was crap. 
    I have a similar model, without the roller - just a wheel at each corner.  It *looks* flimsy but it also means it's very light.  It also puts a bit of stripe in the lawn.  It cuts well and collects pretty much everything.

It's also lasted a long time, it must be ten years old now.  I inherited it from a friend - it's not actually as flimsy as it looks.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    I have a Honda petrol - it's 15 years old and works a treat. Rock solid. Just change the spark plug and air filter every 6 years.

I gave up on electric mowers .. long cable runs are a pain.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6266

have a mountfield petrol, 140cc. Hassle free mowing. Before that, electric, Bosch Rotrack, which was alright, but had to replace or repair the cable so many times, as I kept cutting it. The petrol is a lot easier to use too. And more to the point, you can rev it, and it smells good, and puts out great gouts of smoke when you haven't used it for a while.

The smell of a petrol mower and fresh cut grass is the whiff of spring/summer

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3091
    Snap said:

The smell of a petrol mower and fresh cut grass is the whiff of spring/summer

Wisdom!

(Except its all year round this far South!)
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6408
    Fretwired said:
    I have a Honda petrol - it's 15 years old and works a treat. Rock solid. Just change the spark plug and air filter every 6 years.

This.  If not a Honda, then Honda engined mower.

Only reason for an electric mower is if you have a VERY, very small lawn.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5012
    Honda petrol engine is the only way to go. No cables or batteries to be recharged/recycled.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ok Chaps, thanks for your input.  The garden is on the small side but longer than the standard length of cable on the Bosch cheapo plastic mower thing that I found in the shed that came with the house.  It also dent cut well, has no collection box and just spays grass everwhere.  I had avoided petrol as i assumed lots of maintenance but it would appear not so i may look again.  I had also discounted flymo's as i wanted something that will cut nicely and ive never seen a fly do that.  Cheers again.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8838
    Jalapeno said:
    Fretwired said:

This.  If not a Honda, then Honda engined mower.

Only reason for an electric mower is if you have a VERY, very small lawn.
    Rocker said:
    Honda petrol engine is the only way to go. No cables or batteries to be recharged/recycled.
    This, and for the same reasons. Over lunch my wife and I were discussing how long we’ve had our mower. It’s something approaching 20 years. No cables to look after. Change the plug, air filter, and oil every few years. Starts on the first pull of the starter cable, or second pull if it’s not been used all winter.

Cost per year is low. That’s the reason contract gardeners use them.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.