What's Going On With This Studs Of This Gibson Stop Tail

What's Hot
Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
edited October 2018 in Guitar
I bought Gibson Midtown with an after market Bigsby B7 installed. Couldn't get along with the garish "Custom Made" badge covering the stud holes, so have decided to go for a B3 with Towner Tension bar.

I removed the "Custom Made" badge but the stud screws that came with the guitar won't screw in. The will for a few turns but then they just lock up and won't go any further.

Could it be that they're not the original ones and have a metric thread instead of imperial? Does all look present and correct with the inserts the way they are sunk into the body?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16793
    Imperial Vs metric.... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    If you fit the B3, you will have the two screw holes from the B7 showing and very likely a pressure mark and a ‘shadow’ of lighter finish showing the old outline, well as the patch under the Custom Made plaque... is that really an improvement?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
    @ICBM there is going be an aesthetically unpleasant element whichever way I go here but thought i’ve The B3 approach a go and see if I like it more. I can always go back onto this B70 set as I’ll keep all the bits.

The discolouring under the “Custom Made” badge is the redefine from the double sided tape adhesive. Am I right in remembering your suggestion is to use WD40 on nitro paint?

Another alternative to cover up the holes left from the B70 would be to fit a B6. Do you think that would cover the old holes? I did some rough measurements and it might just work.
    edited October 2018
    The B6 will cover the screw holes but not the likely impression from the B70, especially on the bass side. It will also need the hinge plate modifying, I think - it's much deeper than the one on the B70 since it's designed for larger archtops, and probably won't fit the rim of the Midtown - and the screw holes don't match. Two are close but there's an extra one which doesn't line up with where the strap button is.

http://www.bigsbyguitars.com/vibe/wp-content/uploads/BigsbyPrint-B70-1200.jpg

http://www.bigsbyguitars.com/vibe/wp-content/uploads/BigsbyPrint-B6-1200.jpg

Seriously, just put it back as it is. It will look a total mess with anything else.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2018
    How about the B60, would that align with the existing holes and have the smaller hinge plate?

It’s a scratch i’ve got itch as i’ve seen other Midtowns on the Towner sure with B3 and B6 setups and I really like the way they look.

Your probably right, it will be better as it is, but I can always go back, and I don’t intend to fit anything that will require any extra holes or modification to the body.
    Duppy03 said:
    How about the B60, would that align with the existing holes and have the smaller hinge plate?
    Yes, it does look like it has the same hinge plate.

Take the B70 off before you buy anything and see how bad the imprint under the front is.

• paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    edited October 2018
    Duppy03 said:
    Another alternative to cover up the holes left from the B70 would be to fit a B6. Do you think that would cover the old holes? I did some rough measurements and it might just work.
    Not sure if it'll cover your redundant holes but I've got a B6 (with shorter hinge plate) and Towner on my midtown, it works well. Not mine but this should give you an idea of placement:

Compared to a B3 and Towner I thought the B6 looked better without so much string length behind the Towner, and more importantly it put the arm in a more useable position for me. B3 fitted for comparison:

Also with the B6 I can fold the arm right back against the tailpiece and close the guitar's case, I think a B3's arm would stick out beyond the end of the guitar.

Glad to hear you found a Midtown
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers @paganskins I've been flipping between B3 or B6, I'd happily go with either, I'll see what comes along first on the used market and go for that. I just missed out on a used B30 at a great price, I kicked myself for making an offer instead of just hitting the BIN.

Loving the Midtown, I got the P90 version. I still keep one eye out for a Custom with natural finish though :)

How's that Melody Maker? Was thinking about that guitar just yesterday. Did you switch out the pickups in the end?

ICBM said:
    Duppy03 said:
    Yes, it does look like it has the same hinge plate.

Take the B70 off before you buy anything and see how bad the imprint under the front is.
    Good idea, I'll take a look
  • Duppy03 said:
    How's that Melody Maker? Was thinking about that guitar just yesterday. Did you switch out the pickups in the end?
    I did, picked it up yesterday and it seems to suit the various options available from the duncan p-rails very well, I will need to remove the SD logo and dull the gloss finish on the pickups and rings down a bit though to sit better with the guitar's patina.

The OX4s also sound great in my LP classic, it's the clarity and I've been after in that guitar for years.