So I'm going to try MIDI, please help!!

What's Hot
preston61preston61 Frets: 690

I've recently invested in a couple of pedals that have MIDI, one of which (Ventris) is hugely opened up by using MIDI. (the other is a DD500)

The problem is that I've never used it for guitar and have actively stayed away as it all looks far too complicated. However to get the most out of what I've got I want to finally gain some kind of grasp of this.

I don't have a huge amount of space on my board, and so was thinking something along the lines of the Disaster Area DMC 3, or their Micro? Is there a UK equivalent company?

Once I've got that, has anyone got a youtube video they'd recommend that shows the basics of how to set stuff up?

Any other advice is welcome

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GadgetGadget Frets: 897
    I don't use MIDI on my board personally, but I think a lot of people recommend the Morningstar MC-6, which can be had from Thorpy FX here in the UK for £220.

I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699

Depending on how many other pedals you use, this seems to be very powerful, with some great features and, apart from the midi programming which seems a pain no matter what you do, looks to be quite intuitive.

http://musicomlab.com/efxmk-v.htm

• preston61preston61 Frets: 690
    edited October 2018

Gadget said:
    I don't use MIDI on my board personally, but I think a lot of people recommend the Morningstar MC-6, which can be had from Thorpy FX here in the UK for £220.

I have seen that name mentioned before, but I was thinking more around the £100 mark. Though I'm sure the one above would do everything I could ever want, it might be too big a step to start with.

I essentially want to be able to have access to more presets on the Ventris and then change both the DD500 and Ventris at the same time for certain collaborations (is that possible?)

tekbow said:

Depending on how many other pedals you use, this seems to be very powerful, with some great features and, apart from the midi programming which seems a pain no matter what you do, looks to be quite intuitive.

http://musicomlab.com/efxmk-v.htm

Thanks bud, that's way to big for the space I have left on the board. I don't really have a need for any effects loops either to be honest
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    @preston61, that's fair enough mate
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    I had the DC Micro to operate a Zoom MS70CDR and a BigSky. It was my first and only MIDI foray for guitar and a doddle to set up. I was just changing presets and such, though. Never needed owt else

• shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    I have no experience as such but did toy with the idea for a little while ago and found these small midi swtiches which you might find interesting.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/one_control_gecko_mkiii.htm
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/amt_fs_2_midi.htm
    shuikit said:
    I have no experience as such but did toy with the idea for a little while ago and found these small midi swtiches which you might find interesting.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/one_control_gecko_mkiii.htm
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/amt_fs_2_midi.htm

Thanks bud, I've been looking at the One Control stuff this morning, the Gecko II and the Basilisk could work, from what I've understood
  • preston61 said:

Gadget said:

I have seen that name mentioned before, but I was thinking more around the £100 mark. Though I'm sure the one above would do everything I could ever want, it might be too big a step to start with.

I essentially want to be able to have access to more presets on the Ventris and then change both the DD500 and Ventris at the same time for certain collaborations (is that possible?)

thats the best thing I have seen and used. 
    I got mine used for a little over £100. 
    Its idiot proof and super easy to do. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    preston61 said:

Gadget said:

thats the best thing I have seen and used. 
    I got mine used for a little over £100. 
    Its idiot proof and super easy to do. 

If I can find one for that kind of price then I'd be happy to play ball.

Theres a Disaster Area DMC 3 at Mansons 2nd hand, would that do the job?

• The disaster area gets great reviews too. I'm not sure that it's as flexible as the morningstar.
    If you post on tgp in the effects section you have a good chance of disaster area messaging you back.
    Alternatively check their website
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • It's worth working out exactly what you want to do with MIDI before you spend any money. For very simple stuff you don't need a controller- the DD-500 can send MIDI clock to synchronise tap tempo, and MIDI patch change messages that correspond to the patch it's on- so, for instance you can set up pairs of patches on the DD-500 and the Ventris by programming the corresponding patches on each with sounds you want together eg. patch 1A on the DD-500 and patch 000 or 001 on the Ventris)

If you want to be able to select different combinations of patches, or use MIDI control change messages for expression pedal functions  (or any of the other things the pedals' manuals say they can do via MIDI CC) you'll need a MIDI controller, but you'll still need to work out what you want to be able to do to make sure you get a unit that does that.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited October 2018
    I started out with midi switching with the disaster area units and they are so easy to programme. Even I could do it I've since moved on to Boss ES5 as it had better features but I can't fault the DA units for starting out 

Plenty of YouTube videos on them too 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    if you're good with soldering and a bit of arduino code you can make your own very easily .. have done one for my amplifire board: 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    cbellanga said:
    if you're good with soldering and a bit of arduino code you can make your own very easily .. have done one for my amplifire board: 

If you'd be willing to make one for me as well, that would be lovely, thanks :-)

I'm about as good with building pedal things as Man United are at playing entertaining football

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom