Dad's Army ...the lost scripts

What's Hot
DominicDominic Frets: 16267
Looks like some lost episodes are to be remade ;
Casting looks excellent .....Hugh Laurie as Wilson , David Jason as Mainwaring
My favourite sit -com of all time ...........just a superb theme , characters and brilliant scriptwriting..........it really has stood the test of time / iconic whereas the Carry On shows are very dated and corny
Long Live Warmington-on -Sea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    I'm sorry but it won't work .... the original cast made the series. The film with Toby Jones was awful as will this .. David Jason as Captain Mainwaring .. just no. This is worse than the plan to remake it with women in the main roles.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6819
    With a healthy pinch of imagination I can see David Jason as Mainwaring and Hugh Laurie as Wilson. I'd rather see the scripts brought into the world that left to die, unless of course they were "lost" for good reason, which is possible....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11504

They will have to get the casting right.  I can't see David Jason as Mainwaring, and I'm not convinced about Danny Dyer as Walker.  Hugh Laurie would probably be good as Wilson though.

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835

Sounds good to me, looking forward to it.

Love Dad's Army.

• DominicDominic Frets: 16267
    I think David Jason could work as Mainwaring.........Hugh Laurie is so talented he could even work as a bitter cynic U.S. Doctor (who would of thought )
    Obviously nobody will fill the boots of the original cast and will always stand on the shoulders of Giants
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12449
    The original was as funny as a dose of clap, but if a top class thesp  like Danny Dyer is on board you never know.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835

Being as they're lost scripts by the original writers and hopefully are not going to be tampered with, then they will be good.

I can't remember a bad episode.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Technically they are lost episodes as the BBC wiped the master tapes. The scripts are in the BBC archives.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533

David Jason's way too old and is, frankly, past it.  Hugh Laurie as Wilson, OK, that could work.  As for Danny Dyer....

Presumably this is just speculation, I can't imagine those people actually working together.

But even if the scripts are great, I don't think it'll really work - the only audience will be people who liked the original, and half of them will be unhappy that it's not the same as the original.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3597
    When Ronnie Barker first worked with David Jason he recognised the talent and said 'we'll all be working for him when we get old'. Laurie got the part of an american doctor and they never knew he was not american until after they had cast him.
    So in theory there is enough talent right there to do justice, of course the director could yet screw the whole thing up.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11504

Can't help thinking David Jason is too old.  He's likely to be 79 by the time they actually start filming.

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6154
    David Jason is a very good actor but I can't see him having Arthur Lowe's jaundiced eye. Jason could act it but in Lowe's case it was a part of him.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    Dominic said:
    it really has stood the test of time / iconic whereas the Carry On shows are very dated and corny
    I disagree, I'm not at all interested in Dad's Army these days, there are some laughs but I much prefer newer sitcoms. Carry on films I still love though. Classic British 70s comedy! 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16267
    Chacun a son gout
  • Fretwired said:
    I'm sorry but it won't work .... the original cast made the series. The film with Toby Jones was awful as will this .. David Jason as Captain Mainwaring .. just no. This is worse than the plan to remake it with women in the main roles.
    I really enjoyed the film, thought that Toby Jones had captured the spirit of Mr Mannering. Not sure if DD could play Walker, that would mean he would have to act :)
    “Ken sent me.”
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    ESBlonde said:
    When Ronnie Barker first worked with David Jason he recognised the talent and said 'we'll all be working for him when we get old'. Laurie got the part of an american doctor and they never knew he was not american until after they had cast him.
    So in theory there is enough talent right there to do justice, of course the director could yet screw the whole thing up.
    Thankfully Ronnie never got to see Still Open All Hours - dreadful.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    SimonC said:
    ESBlonde said:
    Thankfully Ronnie never got to see Still Open All Hours - dreadful.

You're not wrong.

At the risk of being lynched by UKTV Gold viewers, I'd say the same of the last several series of Only Fools and Horses.  And all the extended specials.

• RockerRocker Frets: 5012
    David Jason was exceptional as Jack Frost. He can act. Dad’s Army was more than Arthur Lowe, the entire cast were all serious quality. One or two ‘name’ actors’ won’t work unless the rest of the cast is up to it. These remakes usually fail for this reason. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I still laugh at the originals after all these years. Everything about them was bang on. I’ll be interested to see the new ones, without terribly high expectations, but I’d love to be proved wrong. I had looked forward to the film, but it was a massive disappointment..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    Why not just use the cast of 'Don't Panic! A Dad's Army Story'