Khabib v McGregor

What's Hot

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Might have to do a separate BJJ thread... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24304
    BJ  J

:joy: 

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    Rocker said:
    Does anyone actually believe this stuff? I mean it all looks so staged. Pay two guys a serious amount of money to brawl in a ring, hype it up no end, pay per view TV and to cap it off, ensure that it needs a rematch to 'settle' the issue. Whatever the issue is....
    You are confusing American wrestling with MMA.
    I think Dana suffers with the same issue
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    Iamnobody said:
    Iamnobody said:
    BBBlues said:
    Iamnobody said:
    Not a fan of MMA - just tried to watch it. Grabbling bores the shit out of me - they just look like a pair of repressed homosexuals hugging each other and entangling legs.
    Did you actually just say that? That's how a "repressed homosexual" behaves?
    It was a joke - take it or leave it. And yes I did just type that - you know I did.
    Well I’ll leave it you complete homophobic tosser  p
    Sigh. If making a joke about two men who are otherwise in straight relationships seemingly looking like they were enjoying a clinch and cuddle when they are supposed to be Fighting each other makes me a homophobic then ok, guilty as charged. In other worlds where everyone isn’t so easily offended I can assure I’m not homophobic.
    Whatever you are, you definitely do lack a sense of humour. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    Iamnobody said:
    Iamnobody said:
    BBBlues said:
    Iamnobody said:
    Not a fan of MMA - just tried to watch it. Grabbling bores the shit out of me - they just look like a pair of repressed homosexuals hugging each other and entangling legs.
    It was a joke - take it or leave it. And yes I did just type that - you know I did.
    Sigh. If making a joke about two men who are otherwise in straight relationships seemingly looking like they were enjoying a clinch and cuddle when they are supposed to be Fighting each other makes me a homophobic then ok, guilty as charged. In other worlds where everyone isn’t so easily offended I can assure I’m not homophobic.

One tongue in cheek comment (leave it) on a guitar forum and my whole character has been assassinated. =)

‘Whatever’ I am I don’t typically write personal insults to other  members. Thankfully some people do though and I can now update my CV and add tosser, homophobe and ‘lacks a sense of humour’ to my personal attributes...

Better cancel that standup gig in the gay bar at the weekend  eh?

Back on topic I actually watched a few MMA vids last night looking for the analysis by Joe Rogan. I’m afraid it’s not for me still - but I gave it a second chance.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Iamnobody said:
    Iamnobody said:
    Iamnobody said:
    BBBlues said:
    Iamnobody said:

One tongue in cheek comment (leave it) on a guitar forum and my whole character has been assassinated. =)

‘Whatever’ I am I don’t typically write personal insults to other  members. Thankfully some people do though and I can now update my CV and add tosser, homophobe and ‘lacks a sense of humour’ to my personal attributes...

Back on topic I actually watched a few MMA vids last night looking for the analysis by Joe Rogan. I’m afraid it’s not for me still - but I gave it a second chance.
    Ok, fwiw I partially regret calling you a tosser.

I think what you wrote was in poor taste and to then placate by saying it was just a joke is regrettable. Homophobia comes in many forms and I can’t stand it ( along with racism, bullying, sexism etc etc)

Maybe the vino I’d supped had a hand in my choice of language, possibly the fact I have family and friends who are gay also, I dunno.

Anyway, what’s done is done, don’t cancel your gay bar gig, if you’re playing guitar I might come and watch but leave the comedy bit out ok ?  :#
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7140
    edited October 2018
    Iamnobody said:
    Iamnobody said:
    Iamnobody said:
    BBBlues said:
    Iamnobody said:

One tongue in cheek comment (leave it) on a guitar forum and my whole character has been assassinated.

EDIT - I'll take that back as it seems calm heads have taken over !
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7326
    Just looked like Khabib didn't like all the trash talk, took it personally and decided that once he'd won he'd go show them who's boss.

You can say they deserved it, but I still don't really understand why he wasn't arrested. He's on film launching himself at someone with the sole purpose of injuring them.
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    DefaultM said:
    Just looked like Khabib didn't like all the trash talk, took it personally and decided that once he'd won he'd go show them who's boss.

You can say they deserved it, but I still don't really understand why he wasn't arrested. He's on film launching himself at someone with the sole purpose of injuring them.
    Well, fling shit at people and you can't be shocked when they attempt to chin you.
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    I think if he had injured the guy then yeah he would have been arrested. The 2 that hit Conor were, but then released when Conor wouldn't press charges. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread though Conor did attack someone before Khabib's mates had a pop at it him, in retaliation for Khabib jumping the fence. 
    I can understand why Kahbib did it (although i wouldn't say i condone it).
    McGregor had been insulting Khabib, his family, his country and his friends for months, plus the incident with the bus. Look at the press conference last week, McGregor came across as totally unhinged, and someone like Khabib will take that very seriously. 
    I'm glad Khabib beat him, although it won't stop the trash talking next time McGregor is lined up to fight someone. 
    I also think there is a fairly heavy bias in favour of  McGregor - He got off very lightly for the bus incident (yeah it's cost him a lot of money but he's got plenty of that). There was the time he jumped in the octagon after a fight and assaulted the ref, then all the crazy shit talking at press conference's, like grabbing Aldo Jose's belt. Yeah Khabib shouldn't have done what he did, but maybe Conor being allowed to get away with so much has pushed things along to a place where they should never have been... 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    DefaultM said:

I think that had McGregor put up more of a fight and gained Khabib;s respect it would not have happened, but as it was it was a beat down followed by him quitting to a neck crank. The arm wasn't even under his chin. Having said that it doesn't excuse Khabib's reaction.

For all the sanctions and the talk of Khabib spoiing his big moment, we have to understand the reaction in Russia / Dagestan to what he did will be all he is concerned about. Putin has already been on the phone to congratulate him and I'm sure there will be more than enough financial compensation there to cover his losses in fines. He has cemented his legacy in Russia now with the fight and the aftermath.

Yep, as far as Khabib is concerned his honour is in tact and he can go home with his head held high. I know a few Russians, and they just think differently to us in the west. Although he did say at the post fight conference that he has to go home and face his dad, and by the look on his face he wasn't looking forward to it!
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    Sells tickets though, doesn't it. So they'll be rubbing their hands at the next lineup
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Does anyone see McGregor fighting again? I mean he has all the cash he's going to need, does he need to put himself in a position that can damage his legacy even more?
    It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't fight again. As cocky as he is this fight must have got to him, he hasn't shown his face since the fight. Licking his wounds i reckon. 
    But there was talk he had signed a 6 fight deal recently, so he may come back. I know there's talk of a rematch but i really dont think he would want to fight Khabib again, i couldn't see it going well for him. 
    He's just signed up for 8(?) more fights so we should see him again. Don't think we'll be seeing him at Wrestlemania yet.
    The fight was a complete embarrassment when you take in to account all the show boating before hand.
    It reminded me of a paint balling trip I went on. One guy going on for weeks about how he was going to destroy everyone and he had the best aim. Got to the day, he shot the trees for about 5 minutes, ran out of paintballs and then sat doing fuck all. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdog said:
    Does anyone see McGregor fighting again? I mean he has all the cash he's going to need, does he need to put himself in a position that can damage his legacy even more?
    Yes. Because he is a fighty prick, and that is the sole reason. He fights commercially because he doesn't get arrested for it.
  • underdog said:
    Yes. Because he is a fighty prick, and that is the sole reason. He fights commercially because he doesn't get arrested for it.
    I don't think he'll damage his legacy even if he comes back and loses. 
    He needs to stop doing all the shit outside the ring - it's part of his image but he's taking it too far - also all this whisky BS too... 
    They will want to cash in on the rematch - both fighters will earn shitloads, UFC will be loaded - they'll push for it to happen. Legal stuff may get in the way so maybe somewhere outside US? (Money won't be the same though).
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Good interview by Joe Rogan with Conor’s MMA coach & Nutritionist

https://youtu.be/ARAT9HQY6e4