Need the help of an electrician please - light switch wiring

HaychHaych Frets: 5772
edited October 2018 in Off Topic
So, this is probably quite simple but I don't really want to kill myself of burn down the house......

I'm installing a new outside light at the front of the house with a PIR sensor.  I'd like it to be switchable so it's not coming on at two in the morning when the neighbours cat is leaving a fresh egg on my lawn.

The only place I have to supply the new light is from an existing switch about four feet from the front door.  So my plan is, if it's feasible, is to chase out the wall to install the wiring for the new light and replace the single light switch with a double, one for the existing circuit and one for the new outside light.

The existing wiring looks like this, hoping that it embeds this time.....

If not a link here:

https://imgur.com/a/x5vOSKO

What do I need to do to modify this to install a two gang switch (if that's the right term) and add the extra circuit?

Thanks in advance.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    I'm not an electrician, but I know the basics of this...

The problem will be if that switch is wired 'live loop in' - which it looks to be - there's no neutral to go to the new light. The neutral connection is made directly at the light fitting and only the live is sent down to the switches and back up - that means simpler cabling can be used.

I had exactly the same problem with trying to fit a doorbell transformer next to my front door. The only viable solution without a huge amount of channelling and replastering was a battery-powered doorbell...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    edited October 2018
    Unless you have a spare neutral kicking about it won’t work...

easier way (and what most do) drill hole through wall and plug the outside light into a mains socket!...
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2097
    Looks,like a typical 2 way switch, assume that switch is ether for hall or landing light.

definitley no neutral there, do you age a garage ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5772
    Thanks all. I was a bit concerned there would be no neutral but hey ho. 

poopot said:
    Unless you have a spare neutral kicking about it won’t work...

easier way (and what most do) drill hole through wall and plug the outside light into a mains socket!...
    That was my other option, not quite a neat but it would still work. Could I add a switched spur for it off the ring main? Or is that a no-no?

spark240 said:
    Looks,like a typical 2 way switch, assume that switch is ether for hall or landing light.

definitley no neutral there, do you age a garage ?
    It’s the dining room actually. It has two switches as there used to be another door next to this one before I blocked it up. 

I dont have a garage. 

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Have you got a loft? You should be able to pick up a permanent feed up there and run it to a point outside? 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5772
    Fuengi said:
    Have you got a loft? You should be able to pick up a permanent feed up there and run it to a point outside? 
    I do but I never go in there and everything is under about two feet of blown insulation so the chances of finding any wiring is minimal.

I'm now leaning towards taking a switched, fused spur off the ring main to feed the external light - from what I've gleaned on the internet this seems to be an acceptable and legal solution to the problem.  I'm happy to be corrected if this isn't right.

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Haych said:
    Fuengi said:
    I do but I never go in there and everything is under about two feet of blown insulation so the chances of finding any wiring is minimal.

I'm now leaning towards taking a switched, fused spur off the ring main to feed the external light - from what I've gleaned on the internet this seems to be an acceptable and legal solution to the problem.  I'm happy to be corrected if this isn't right.
    Just make sure you fuse down in the spur if using 1mm cable as the fuse at the board will be higher than the cable rating.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    edited October 2018
    a little musical interlude...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    It dosnt look like you have a neutral at that switch ...you will need that for the light to work ..I means you will have to take a mains from the light providing they are not wired of a junction box ....the best way is take it to the switch first then out to the light joining the neutrals in the switch when you fit the 2 gang ..make sure you get 2 gang 2 way switch cos that one on the pic is 2 way