Sellers Paypal protection?

What's Hot
What exactly is this guys? Recently sold a guitar, buyer wants me to send it to a different address for a very valid reason, which is fair enough, I have no problems with this. However Paypal want me to send it to the buyers registered address and say that I wont be covered if I send it elsewhere. Whats that all about then?
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11504
    Stop people using stolen Paypal logins.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3683
    I dont think this is that, the guy seems genuine, in fact I have no doubts he is, I just dont know what might go wrong and how it would effect me as a seller, Im probably fretting over nothing I guess.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12484
    edited October 2018
    Are you sure this valid reason is absolutely genuine? If you ship it to an address that’s not registered to the buyer you won’t get any protection from PayPal  at all if it’s a scam. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Definitely only send it to the registered address! 
    How can it be a scam?
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Sending to anywhere other than the Paypal registered address is giving the guitar to a complete stranger who can not only then steal your guitar but you won't be able to do anything to get it back. Nothing. Paypal will do nothing. The Police will do nothing.  Everyone will do nothing to help you.

So ask yourself - do I feel lucky?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    You send it. Buyer claims he never received it. PayPal won’t refund you because you shipped it to a different address. Buyer gets his money back from PayPal and keeps your guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Shit, Ok guys, thats a valid reason to be wary, My luck has been pretty shitty lately and they say it comes in threes! What if I let him organise a courier, that still wouldn't be a way around it , would it?
    Tell the buyer you’ll ship it to his registered address or there’s no deal. If he won’t do it, walk away. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12069
    robgilmo said:
    Shit, Ok guys, thats a valid reason to be wary, My luck has been pretty shitty lately and they say it comes in threes! What if I let him organise a courier, that still wouldn't be a way around it , would it?
    only if the courier brings cash with him to pay you
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1566
    edited October 2018
    If he insists on the other address then refund the PayPal and get him to do a bank transfer.... or refund, get him to change his registered address so you are protected, and reapply the payment.
    edited October 2018
    robgilmo said:
    only if the courier brings cash with him to pay you
    No, that makes no difference.  You can still be scammed.

Follow the Paypal rules.  Or lose the guitar.

If I sound irate its because I see annoying regulatory changes caused by plonkers not following financial rules and then complaining "I lost my money and should get compensation!"  No, you should have just followed the rules to stop the scammers winning!  Why do plonkers do this?  Because they believe what the scammers tells them instead of believing what Paypal/Banks/etc tell them!  :p
  • ColsCols Frets: 7249
    Don’t do it.  In case of a dispute, PayPal won’t lift a finger in your defence if you’ve transferred it to him in any other way than shipping to the address registered with them.  It doesn’t matter if you have a wealth of emails from the buyer asking them to ship it to another address or give it to a courier.  The onus is always on the seller to assure safe and correct delivery.

If they reeeeeally need to ship it to the other address, do the following:

1.  Refund the original payment.
    2.  Get the buyer to register the proper shipping address with PayPal.
    3.  Get them to make a new payment.
    4.  Ship to the desired address using recorded delivery.

Job done, and you’re now protected.
    edited October 2018
    Let me guess. The 'buyer' urgently needs it for a gig this weekend and hasn't got round to changing his registered address since he moved last month?
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8220
    Get him to pay by bank transfer or PayPal Friends and Family.
    If he refuses, he's probably dodgy. 
    Not worth the risk AT ALL. In fact, I wouldn't even use PayPal (non friends and family) at all whn sending a guitar - horror stories abound of buyers telling PayPal that the seller sent the case with no guitar in it. Cue refund from PayPal and you having no option but to sue an unscrupulous ballsack.
    No thanks.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 527
    tFB Trader
    You can still get scammed taking a "friends + family" payment. Dodgy chap funds payment with his credit card. You ship guitar and guy puts in a chargeback with his credit card company. Paypal usually simply refund such chargebacks and you won't have any defence as the payment wasn't supposed to be for goods.
  • scammers always have valid reasons. its why they are scammers :)
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Caveat emptor, caveat venditor.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I posted to other than registered Paypal addresses, maybe once or twice, back in the good old days. Got away with it, too! Would I do it now? Not a chance!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

So are bank transfers safe?