Noise/output problems with volume pot

What's Hot
My guitar started making horrendous noise and very low output so I took it apart to fix it. I replaced the switch, the output jack and both pots and have rewired it. I'm an electrician so I'm pretty confident with this kind of thing.

After rewiring I have the same problem. If I remove the pots from the circuit and just wire the output of the toggle to the jack I get the way it used to sound with the volume and tone pots both on full but with the volume pot back in the circuit it doesn't matter where the pot is I just get very low output and lots of noise. Any ideas what I may have done wrong?

This is how I wired it:

http://www.irongear.co.uk/2_x_humbuckers_4-wire___1_vol__1_tone__3-way_toggle__no_coil_switching_v03_igwm.gif
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    If you've wired it like that with no mistakes you've either got a faulty pot, or if it's *exactly* like that, the bare leg of the tone cap may be touching the pot casing... that's not a good way to draw it!

The only other thing I can think of is that you've got a DC voltage leak from whatever you're plugging into - amp or pedal - which will make a volume pot very noisy, but it shouldn't give low output I don't think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    Thanks @ICBM ! Yep, my wiring was okay. I got the pot on my multimeter and it didn't seem right so I swapped the pot out for a new one and it works fine now. Strange that I ended up with two dodgy pots (unless the first fault was something else) but I'm pleased it's all sorted now. Thanks again.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14447
    edited October 2018
    Dare we ask the brand of the offending pot(s)? 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    Dare we ask the brand of the offending pot(s)? 
    Both faulty pots were Alpha brand.