The Fretboarder conundrum

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2442
    Sporky said:
    I do find it odd how resistant many people are to having lessons. 
    I guess it all depends on a persons level of commitment and whether or not they're disciplined enough to practice properly after they've had a lesson.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited October 2018
    Sporky said:
    Most of the players I aspire to are self-taught, and I often wonder if this is what made them unique?
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3518
    Freebird said:
    Sporky said:
    Most of the players I aspire to are self-taught, and I often wonder if this is what made them unique?
    Almost all the players I aspire to had some lessons at some point, either a full uni degree or at least comprehensive lessons. It didn't make them into the players they are, but it (probably) helped structure their progress.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29044
    Freebird said:
    Sporky said:
    Probably not. I don't sound like the other people who have lessons from the same teacher. 

No teacher is going to brainwash all their students into playing the same stuff, even if that was possible. But they will help solve technique issues so you can play what you want to play, but more easily. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • What is this word "need" all about ;)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    carlos said:
    p90fool said:
    Sporky said:
    It's rock n roll innit? 

Not joking btw, I've always wanted to sound more like Link Wray than like an advertising jingle. 
    Learn how to play advertising jingles, only £40 a lesson. 

@carlos I think you'll find you'll not get much of Pete Thorn's time for £40!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29044
    beed84 said:
    Sporky said:
    I guess it all depends on a persons level of commitment and whether or not they're disciplined enough to practice properly after they've had a lesson.
    I s'pose it's one of those things if you're determined enough you'll always come up with an excuse not to.

Certainly my experience is that a good teacher means you make progress much, much faster than on your own, and that progress is towards the goals you set yourself (though often via other sub-goals you didn't realise needed to be on the way).
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    @DLM ;
    Sure, but why Pete Thorn? Anything particular about him that another rock guitar teacher couldn't cover? There's a forum member with 8 published and well-reviewed books that does skype lessons around that price.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @carlos Oh, I didn't mean it that way. There's a myriad of teachers I'd chose over Thorn. There was a snarky comment on here that your post reminded me of. It made me laugh at the time, and I'll drop it in here if I can find it.
    No worries.
    BTW, when I put tuition in the meme I also meant video lessons or books. Heck, buy a tuition DVD and do that from start to finish. You're bound to learn a lot.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
    Philly_Q said:
    carlos said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Sporky said:
    I like the idea of having lessons, but the practicalities of finding a teacher I like, then schlepping around the outskirts of London on public transport, carrying a guitar, at inconvenient times of day and night, let alone finding time to practise... that's what puts me off.
    Skype lessons are really good. I use lessons for things I'm stuck at, e.g. polyrhythms. 
    I'd be more like "let's start over and try to do it all properly - or at least better - this time".
    That's what i did recently...
    Got some lessons and went right back to basics to start. Have fixed a shit ton of bad technique so far and properly re-inspired me to play.. 

Still want a new guitar though. 
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited October 2018
    When I practice I tend to record everything as I go along, and then I playback certain looped sections and analyse them. My ears then tell me what I am doing wrong, and it's ususlly an easy fix to put it right. In fact, using this method you can develop your own style and tone by enhancing the parts that you like, while eliminating the lesser sounding bits. I'm a big fan of self-critiquing ones output, some of the greatest music ever made has been achieved this way.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.