Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Young numpties

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11451
    edited October 2018
    dindude said:
    I’m 43 and have never changed a car wheel and never really intend to. I also don’t face my chair towards the window whilst enjoying a nice glass of wine. Not sure if you’re aware but I think you come off worse than the youngsters by your discription. 

The AA (or whichever one you are with) will take an hour to get there, 5 minutes to do the job, and another 10 to sign all the paperwork at the end of it.  If you do it yourself, you will be on your way inside quarter of an hour.  Of course that does assume you actually have a spare - which a lot of modern cars don't.  They should be compulsory.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    crunchman said:

Of course that does assume you actually have a spare - which a lot of modern cars don't.  They should be compulsory.
    Why? On purely environmental grounds alone there must a good argument not to carry around a very heavy spare wheel in your car for several years, burning additional fuel, when statistically you'll need it once in a blue moon. Plus, if the art of changing a wheel is disappearing, there is even less reason to carry one around...
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11451
    jellyroll said:
    crunchman said:

Of course that does assume you actually have a spare - which a lot of modern cars don't.  They should be compulsory.
    Why? On purely environmental grounds alone there must a good argument not to carry around a very heavy spare wheel in your car for several years, burning additional fuel, when statistically you'll need it once in a blue moon. Plus, if the art of changing a wheel is disappearing, there is even less reason to carry one around...
    Well if we looking at it on purely environmental grounds, we shouldn't be using our cars at all most of the time.  More than half of trips made by car are under 5 miles.  For a healthy person that can easily be cycled.  Other car trips would be better made by public transport.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    jellyroll said:
    crunchman said:
    They should be compulsory.
    Why? 
    In the event of a puncture, the longer your vehicle spends immobilised at the side of a busy carriageway, the greater the probability of something colliding with it. 

A wheel change takes minutes. Once the vehicle is back on the road, its occupants are in less danger. Equally importantly, other road users are no longer put at any risk by a short term obstruction.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @dbphoto , has the wheel been changed yet?
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Haha, yes, it was over 2 hours from start to finish but they eventually managed to get the spare wheel on.

I still can't quite get my head around two young lads, one with an almost brand new Golf GTI, and his mate with an almost brand new Civic Type R, being so clueless when it came to one the most basic things you might need to do to your car.

Maybe the difference is when I was their age I was driving pretty old cars that needed fairly regular maintenance, so you either had to learn or pay up.  
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    jellyroll said:
    crunchman said:

So the other option is to no longer provide a spare wheel (which in doing so saves the manufacturer's £100 per vehicle yet will happily charge you £150+ to include it was an extra) and save yourself a few quid a year (you'll need to do at least 20,000 miles a year to save this money), in turn you spend longer on the dual carriageway and will require (at worst if the wheel has damage that a goo kit won't fix). 

Having a flat and no spare wheel can mean more time spent on the motorway waiting for the AA to get a suitable vehicle to tow you away. 15 min vs several hours.

Let's be honest about this, the problem isn't that young people have no clue how to change a wheel - more that the parents of said youth are of the opinion that doing such manual labour is "someone else's job" and won't teach them any skills that could be useful in life.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72369
    I won’t buy a car with no spare wheel - I will grudgingly accept a space saver one - unless or until it becomes almost impossible to buy any decent car with one.

The foam stuff not only makes it more expensive to have the tyre changed, it won’t fix a damaged rim, which given the state of the roads is becoming increasingly likely.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've changed wheels on umpteen different vehicles, but my Ford Fusion had me stumped. Where were the jacking points? It took a young lady less than half my age to point out that the plastic bits on the sill next to the wheel are pull-offable to reveal ... a jacking point. ylsned ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom