Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Annual Central Heating Discussion?

What's Hot
Who’s caved in already?

I put ours on to test it today - all is good. I have a bit more work to do on balancing the system. Since we extended earlier this year the existing boiler is a bit underpowered so I have to prioritise the flows a bit.
Previously known as stevebrum
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I just leave mine on all the time, and let the thermostat do its job.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3443
    edited October 2018
    I just leave mine on all the time, and let the thermostat do its job.
    Same here. I really don’t understand those who have a date-related fixation with their heating. Surely a temperature based approach is more sensible!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6408
    Leave it to the thermostat too.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Me too. Cannot understand why sensible folks don't trust the thermostat to work perfectly and do the job it was designed for and is extremely good at.

People are the same with car heater thermostats.  Just set and forget? No they have to keep changing it dependent on whether they think the temperature is warm or cool. Aaargh!
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
    Annual put on a jumper discussion. 

:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6927
    Chalky said:
    Me too. Cannot understand why sensible folks don't trust the thermostat to work perfectly and do the job it was designed for and is extremely good at.

People are the same with car heater thermostats.  Just set and forget? No they have to keep changing it dependent on whether they think the temperature is warm or cool. Aaargh!
    My car is on manual ‘man’ setting. Fully cold or fully hot.

My thermostat in the house is set for an absolute minimum temp to be maintained in winter but there’s nothing wrong with giving it a boost every now again if anyone in the house feels a bit chilly.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    LuttiS said:
    Annual put on a jumper discussion. 

:)
    That’s the spirit!

We do tend to have this type of thread every year and we get a range of comments from - the boring thermostat is set crowd ;) , wear another jumper, I’m fucked if it’s going on before November etc. And details of the daily fights with the Mrs re. Thermostat.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7004
    Chalky said:

Heresy!! Surely if it looks cold outside you’d need to make it more warmerer inside - how does the thermostat know what temperature it is outside  =)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2840
    So what do you set temp to which keeps house reasonably warm but never goes below a certain lower limit? Do you use a timer?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29046
    Chalky said:

If it's hot out then I set the car a bit warmer - no point freezing yourself if you're getting back out into the cold soon. Similarly, in winter I'll set it a bit cooler because I'm probably wearing a jumper and a coat in the car .
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • The only problem with putting a jumper on is your hands are often still too cold to play properly
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12069
    I've used mine occasionally for a month or 2
    Constantly for the last few weeks

What temperature do you guys set your houses to?
    sev112 said:
    So what do you set temp to which keeps house reasonably warm but never goes below a certain lower limit? Do you use a timer?
    Being a northerner (who happens to now reside in the midlands) my min temp is set quite low. 

This is will be our first full winter with a smart thermostat though so the idea is to not unnecessarily heat an empty house. At the moment our routine is quite varied  - so no fixed timing for us.

I realise that opens up another debate about cost of maintaining a constant temp v heating up a cold house.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4374
    It was cold out last night, and Mrs. R. is away on business. Couple of beers, Some Kind of Monster on Netflix, gas fire. Happy days. 

To be fair, the only thing that would change if she was here would be the Metallica docco. :)

And yes, my heating’s on this morning. It’s cold. I never understood the date fixation either, if it was 7 degrees out in July it’d be going on. 
  • randellarandella Frets: 4374
    Iamnobody said:
    And details of the daily fights with the Mrs re. Thermostat.
    In a weird cat-chases-dog kind of situation, it’s me who gets cold well before my betrothed. I have a good collection of jumpers. 

I’m basically nesh. 
  • Iamnobody said:

This is will be our first full winter with a smart thermostat though so the idea is to not unnecessarily heat an empty house. At the moment our routine is quite varied  - so no fixed timing for us.

I realise that opens up another debate about cost of maintaining a constant temp v heating up a cold house.
    I've just had a new boiler in the last couple of days, and the new regs say I now have to have one of these newfangled smart thingies.  At the moment, though, it's just being a normal 'dumb' one - so I just have the heating coming on 30 minutes before I get up, and 30 minutes before I get home.  The rest of the time, it just stops the place getting properly cold.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33898
    I’m pretty confident I will be the last to cave this year.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12505
    I'm still in shorts?  Heating is for at Dec to Feb and only if it snows. 

Thats my take anyway missus munckee and my daughter have a very different view!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I just fitted a hive stat and it's ace, wish I'd done it ages ago. Heating is on but missis hates it.

Because of her medication she's had an early menopause and is in a constant state of massive hot flush.
  • Fired up our radiators last night. All good apart from the rad in the spare bedroom which is clay cold. Debating whether to faff around with the valves/balance the rad system or just leave as is cos my guitars are located in that room.