Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Glastonbury 2019....

What's Hot

Comments

• Cols said:
    So, the headline act for Glastonbury 2019 is.... Stormsy.

Wonder how many tickets just went up on eBay?
    Better than Kylie or spice girls so I'm pleased. Plenty of other bands to see. I don't do the pyramid ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Cols said:

Probably not that many, he’s really fucking popular. 
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I do hope Stormzy performs in a giant tea cup.
    Of course, Glastonbury audiences have been grimey for years so I guess he’ll be popular.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Who the fuck is Stormzy/Stormsy? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lewismlewism Frets: 250
    Reading ‘95 was my first festival, but I started watching Glastonbury on the TV in about ‘93. It’s not the same thing anymore- it’s just Glyndbourne for the upper middle classes who consider themselves ‘hip’. It’s not really a music festival anymore. That said, most festivals nowadays just seem to be a rite of passage for kids to attend rather than care about the bands playing. Christ I sound old.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lewism said:
    Reading ‘95 was my first festival, but I started watching Glastonbury on the TV in about ‘93. It’s not the same thing anymore- it’s just Glyndbourne for the upper middle classes who consider themselves ‘hip’. It’s not really a music festival anymore. That said, most festivals nowadays just seem to be a rite of passage for kids to attend rather than care about the bands playing. Christ I sound old.
    To be fair, people were already saying all that when I first went in 2003. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • lewism said:
    I can assure you I am not hip nor cool and never was lol
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12328
    Cols said:

Nah you was watching the weather prediction innit blad.

Im here all week.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Cols said:

Nah you was watching the weather prediction innit blad.

Im here all week.
    lol I was waiting for that joke lol
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264

Went to quite a lot of festivals in the 90s. Glastonbury in 95 was a highlight, as was Neil Young at Phoenix Festival. I was fortunate enough to have seen a lot of really good bands around then. Jeff Buckley, Foo Fighters, Page & Plant, Black Crowes, The Cure, plus all the britpop bands in their prime. That was the Glast that Pulp stood in for the Roses, and they were vv good. Unlike Oasis who were crap. But then they always were crap live.

I went to Finsbury Park this summer to see QOTSA and it dawned on me that I just cannot be arsed with big outdoor dos anymore. More than anything its the people - bladdered and annoying. No doubt that was me back in the 90s, but these days it gets right on my pip.

I'd love to be able to love going to Glastonbury, but I know if I went I'd get fed up.

• lewism said:
    Watching Glasto change over the years has been quite sad. I used to play cricket in a town that was the major station interchange up to Glasto from London. On Wednesday and Thursday nights after matches or training, I'd get the train back to my home and see the kids coming up from London. Into the 21st century it was noticeable how the Glasto clientele was changing. Fewer DMs, fewer rock kids, now it was young ladies arriving with those suitcases on wheels and sometimes make-up trolleys on wheels. When I'd finish my match on a Sunday, again I'd go home. It was quite amusing to see those same kids coming back to Westbury to board trains from London. The suitcases would be festooned with mud and those wee make-up trolleys were lacking a wheel or two. There'd also be platoons of parents in big cars who had clearly been begged to pick up their offspring who were tired and muddy. 

• Cols said:

I would bet zero, considering nobody has paid their balance yet and the tickets haven't been posted out. Oh, and when printed they have your name, address and photo on so it's unwise to buy one from someone else.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • ColsCols Frets: 7006
    Cols said:

I would bet zero, considering nobody has paid their balance yet and the tickets haven't been posted out. Oh, and when printed they have your name, address and photo on so it's unwise to buy one from someone else.
    Sigh.  Okay, how many people are experiencing buyer’s regret?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hopefully loads and i can grab one in the resale. Couldn’t give a monkeys whose on that’s half the fun, stumble in a tent somewhere at any time of day and let yer ears do the talking. Far too much negativity here chaps. 
  • Cols said:
    Cols said:

Never. Too many other great bands to see. It's not all about the headliners you know 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
    Watching Glasto change over the years has been quite sad. 
    Sad you think? Watching Glastonbury change over the years has been a sure-fire barometer of the state of our culture. 

I first went in 1983 when it was a CND (anyone else remember who they were?) Festival. Tickets were 12.00 and there were 30,000 people. The only structures I remember were tents and stages. No roadways. It was like being in a field ALL THE TIME. 

I then worked there in 1990, tickets were £38 and there were 70,000 people. Still felt OK though, despite house and acid music becoming popular and beats becoming predominant.....All night....

I was working there again last year. I'm not sure of the figures nor how much tickets were. The structures, the depiction of negative visuals, the fact that there was such a dominance of beats and that so much of what I witnessed was just mass culture, churned out to please the masses, nothing radical (except some of the theatre stuff) and generally really dumbing down everything that I stood for when I first went, and still stand for. I felt it was like walking down any major shopping street in the UK. For me, it missed the point entirely. 

Bland shittery. Sorry to be a troll to all you Glasto freaks out there, but it's become terribly and awfully normal. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • merlin said:
    Sad you think? Watching Glastonbury change over the years has been a sure-fire barometer of the state of our culture. 

I first went in 1983 when it was a CND (anyone else remember who they were?) Festival. Tickets were 12.00 and there were 30,000 people. The only structures I remember were tents and stages. No roadways. It was like being in a field ALL THE TIME. 

I then worked there in 1990, tickets were £38 and there were 70,000 people. Still felt OK though, despite house and acid music becoming popular and beats becoming predominant.....All night....

I was working there again last year. I'm not sure of the figures nor how much tickets were. The structures, the depiction of negative visuals, the fact that there was such a dominance of beats and that so much of what I witnessed was just mass culture, churned out to please the masses, nothing radical (except some of the theatre stuff) and generally really dumbing down everything that I stood for when I first went, and still stand for. I felt it was like walking down any major shopping street in the UK. For me, it missed the point entirely. 

Bland shittery. Sorry to be a troll to all you Glasto freaks out there, but it's become terribly and awfully normal. 
    Just how like it lol. Well we are all different :)
  • Cols said:ki
    Cols said:

If anyone is regretting buying a ticket after 1 headliner of 1 of the 100 or so stages has been announced i'm not really sure why they bought a ticket in the first place.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • lewismlewism Frets: 250
    merlin said:

It’s the commodification of the alternative. You don’t have to actually like or care about something anymore, just look like you do. Buy the t-shirt, go to the festival, post it all on Instagram. Warhol was a very prescient guy, he wrote about this stuff back in the Sixties, people just presenting a version of what they’d like to be perceived as.
  • lewism said:
    merlin said:

It’s the commodification of the alternative. You don’t have to actually like or care about something anymore, just look like you do. Buy the t-shirt, go to the festival, post it all on Instagram. Warhol was a very prescient guy, he wrote about this stuff back in the Sixties, people just presenting a version of what they’d like to be perceived as.
    Not sure I agree with that either but we're entitled to our opinions opinions of course ;)