Gassing for an axe fx for no reason :/

What's Hot

Comments

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

the way to not suffer with latency is to reamp..

so I record the dry guitar direct from the Axe, whilst I listen to the Axe through my mixer [along with the backing music]

then I reamp the guitar tone later [which is a much better way to record]

live, I run the AF2 through a power amp and traditional Marshall 4x12 cabs.. sounds and feels absolutely stellar.. valve amp shmalve amp.. I just couldn't confine myself to a rig like that

play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445

Clarky said:

I just couldn't confine myself to a rig like that

How ever would you have played guitar in the 70's!!! ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2014

I've not used amp / stomps since about 91 / 92 ish.. and that was because all the river-dance action to get from clean to solo did my head in.. so I switched to a Roland GP-16.. and once I had that, I discovered the joys of MIDI: CC and exp pedals..

a few years later I had the Digitech 2120.. and there was just no going back.. not only the tone but soooo much control available..

Drew_fx said:

Clarky said:

and how on earth would I have got by in the 13th century when there weren't even any Marshalls and stuff...??

maybe I'd have refused to have been born until the age of electricity and the creation of rockin'-anda-rollin' technologies.. oh yeah.. and Floyd Rose too..

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11901
    Drew_fx said:

Clarky said:

Those would be the 70s from which most recorded live performances sound awful?
    Drew_fx said:

Clarky said:

Are you actually serious? What a bullshit statement!
    Clarky said:
    Drew_fx said:

Clarky said:

and how on earth would I have got by in the 13th century when there weren't even any Marshalls and stuff...??

maybe I'd have refused to have been born until the age of electricity and the creation of rockin'-anda-rollin' technologies.. oh yeah.. and Floyd Rose too..

yeah yeah yeah....
    edited April 2014
    Drew_fx said:
    Drew_fx said:

Clarky said:

just my opinion, I find most concert footage from then unwatchable, but the 70s are always held up as examples of what guitars should really sound like. Every concert I saw live in the 70s sounded crap tbh
    Drew_fx said:
    Drew_fx said:

Clarky said:

just my opinion, I find most concert footage from then unwatchable, but the 70s are always held up as examples of what guitars should really sound like. Every concert I saw live in the 70s sounded crap tbh
    Pull out any 70's prog, and by and large it is going to sound great imho.

But then... I am going through a vinyl phase ;)

At the end of the day, use what you want... but I think calling a standard guitar rig "limiting" or a confinment is (again imho) fetishizing the digital options we have. They're all just tools to get to the same place - creativity.
    edited April 2014

the main reason I find the old skool amp / stomp rig limiting is that real-time control via exp pedals / MIDI has become a major component in my performance style.. also, switching tones / amps / fx combinations and layouts in a single stomp is a killer thing too.. this all opens up huge performance avenues in ways that are seriously difficult [and in some cases impossible] in a traditional rig..

studio though is a whole different deal.. I just reamp with a single amp and cab for each tone I need to cut..

I'm not saynig [and have never said] that traditional amp / stomp rigs sound bad or anything like that, because it's just not true.. the thing I find confining is purely the control and flexibilitiy [in the live performance sense] side of things..

Yeah it can be a bit confining. Not the amp side of things, but certainly the pedal side. I've still not seen a solution that fits my needs, and an AF2 would not solve it either. The best solution for me is single pedals into the front of the amp. Screw the FX loop, screw midi, and screw switching systems.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    out of curiosity, what is it about your specific needs that are difficult to address??
    Clarky said:
    out of curiosity, what is it about your specific needs that are difficult to address??
    I'm not sure that they're not difficult to address, but I think there is going to be too much in the way of compromise. In a nutshell, I want full rig presets and also instant access switches. I don't want to have to remember switch assignments on a per-preset basis, so I need enough switches for presets and enough for dedicated on/off of effects.

I've had many setups that went towards this. The best was a Boss GT-100 controlling the amp, and setup in 4-cable method. The worst was a Musicomlabs EFXII and a bunch of single pedals. That was the most finnicky anal-retentive rig I'd ever constructed!

I wont bore you with details on why they didn't work. Suffice to say, the simpler the better seems to working best for me.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    I'm a presets kinda guy, don't have the time or inclination for anything else - even multi-FX are too busy for me.

I've 2 pedal boards, one in front of the amp (gains, compressor), one in the FX Loop (delays and modulations).

A lot of the pedals are one-tune wonders - for specific cover-band tunes.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    OP- buy Si's in a few weeks time. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2014
    Drew - you do know that with the Axe you can run scenes and IA's simultaneously???
    I do it myself..
    irrespective of the preset, the IA's work the same because the IA is assigned to a specific fx block
    scenes can be what ever you like and so can switch on / off a bunch of things simultaneously and be different or the same [if you wish] on a per preset basis..

example: I currently run 2 presets for a funky rocky popy band called Civilians
    on both presets
    scene1 = riff
    scene2 = solo
    scene3 = clean
    scene4 = soft solo [quieter / more delay for ballads and ambient moments]
    scene5 = misc [which is different in each preset and therefore has something to address the tonal need of a moment in a specific song]

the misc scene in preset 1 is an almost clean JCM800 with a phaser
    the misc scene in preset 2 is a crunchy JCM800

I have an IA assigned to the phaser [which therefore applies to all 384 presets]

the cool thing is that on all Civvies presets, the phaser is.. erm.. a phaser.. 
    but in the soloing scene the phaser flips to the Y side and now becomes a univibe
    and of course, in the misc scene that has the phaser, I can use the IA to switch it off if I wish..

from a config standpoint it's highly flexible..
    from a live performance standpoint, it's wonderful...
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Si_ said:
    BUT you really do have to put the time into it, it's not plug and play so don't expect it to be. 
    Seems like there is a gap in the market to create something with the power and modelling quality of the Axe FX but as easy to use as a Zoom G3 or similar.

you can download ready made patches for the AF2, so if you can't be bothered finding your own tone, you can use someone else's

• matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386

you can download ready made patches for the AF2, so if you can't be bothered finding your own tone, you can use someone else's

My 2p - It doesn't working like that in my experience. I downloaded patches that sounded great when the author played through them but sounded like cack when loaded into my rig. 

There are so many variables in a set up from fingers to speaker - the Axe is a cog in that machine. To get the best out of an Axe you gotta do it yourself. That's where the lions share of the said time investment comes from.