Orange is coming... guitar refinishing photos

Some of you may remember my 'Show me your orange guitars' thread... well I got started with the full intention of painting my guitar myself, but in the end I fell in love with the orange flake finish on @John_A's Washburn.  I did all the stripping down and got the old paint off, but then I lost my nerve and so the guitar has gone to @lamf68 now for him to work his magic.

Next time I see it it will be approximately 8000% more fabulous :D   Until then, here are some 'before' pictures for you.

This is how it looked before I started:

You can see where it used to be pink:

It was just generally looking a bit tatty... the guy I got it from called it 'naturally reliced' but it wasn't the greatest refinishing job:

Electrics are all being replaced:

I found some details in the neck pocket - I've emailed Performance about it, I'm waiting to hear what they can tell me about the guitar:

Paint coming off. You can see the old colour... if I'd been able to just get the silver paint off I might have stuck with the pink, but that was never going to happen:

Finally got it as smooth as I can:

Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• frownfrown Frets: 32
    Looks like it has a split in it?
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11657
    edited October 2018 tFB Trader

Nice to see one of the Shadow pickup rings with the tuner built in .
    You don't see those too often.
    Think Steve Stevens has them on some guitars

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4220
    edited October 2018
    frown said:
    Looks like it has a split in it?
    It does. It seems solid enough, but I'm going to keep an eye on it. I've been talking to Performance Guitar by email and it doesn't actually seem to be one of their guitars... the neck might be, but they don't recognise the name on the neck, and there are details missing from the neck pocket and heel plate; I guess that means that if I need to I can replace the body. Hoping it doesn't come to that though

UPDATE: since posting this I've done some more investigation and it is a genuine Performance body... if the split causes a problem I'll be talking to Feline I guess...

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Nice to see one of the Shadow pickup rings with the tuner built in .
    You don't see those too often.
    Think Steve Stevens has them on some guitars
    It's really cool, but I'm not putting it back on - I've actually got it for sale at the moment! If I was gigging regularly then I think I'd keep it, but at home I just never use it