Relicing Work

What's Hot
mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4678
I know it’s been done to death on here and I know I’m opening up a can of worms BUT I have a Vintage Vr100lm which I think would look pretty damn cool with a bit of a relic job on it, who should I turn to to get such work? I have heard of Raygun Relics who may be able to partake in such work but is there anyone else that you guys have turned to? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveFSteveF Frets: 539
    @lonestar does some great looking relic work. Not sure that getting a relic job done professionally won’t cost as much as the guitar is worth though.  That’s not me being snobbish, just noting that Vintage make pretty affordable guitars and a decent relic job will cost you a couple of hundred quid
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4678
    True @Stevef but I really like the guitar and am not planning selling it so putting some money into isn’t that much of a pain. 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    Thanks @SteveF , always nice to be recommended. Tbh if it’s poly I wouldn’t touch it. It would need a bloody good sanding and some nitro clear to start with. Or, strip the entire thing and start again. With either option (in my case) you’re into 3-4 months and a few hundred quid unfortunately. 

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12469
    Take the body off tie to back of car and drive a few miles. What colour is it at the moment you could scuff sand and spray over then sand back the obvious places to reveal some colour underneath. I sprayed an antique burst surf green and sanded it and unintentionally revealed the darker colour underneath. I really liked it. 
    Does @lamf68 still do some work? 
  • I've had two Raygun Relics Vintage guitars- one Lemon Drop & an SG Jr. Both were excellent. 
    Id contact him if I were you, but I seem to recall him saying something similar to Lonestar about poly being a pain... Although I've seen a few HB relics on his Facebook page & I suspect they didn't start out with nitro! 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12469
    Does @lamf68 still do some work? 
    He just did a beautiful sunburst for @Dan86 ;
    All sorted now chaps 
  • Just do a few gig & sling it in the back of the transit with no case. It'll be a relic in no time.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It’s not just the relic thing lads, it’s a full refinish now ;) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just do a few gig & sling it in the back of the transit with no case. It'll be a relic in no time.
    This is close to my thoughts.
    A few weeks in a gig back in the boot would probably do the trick on a poly guitar.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.