Patrick Eggle Guru - serial number info

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14589
in Guitar tFB Trader
Sorry, but I can't recall who it is, that is the Eggle guru on FB - About to acquire 2 Patrick Eggle Berlin Pro's and need help on the serial numbers to get a date of birth

BP292593  and  B2931562

Thanks for any help my way on this one - suspect one is 92 and the other 93
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• CollingsCollings Frets: 413
    Some good info on PEG here but you might need to register:

http://www.patrickeggleguitars.org/smf/index.php
  • RevMattRevMatt Frets: 840
    edited October 2018
    Yep, 2x early Berlins there. The one with the BP prefix is a Berlin Pro (with trem) from Feb 1992. The B prefix is a hardtail Berlin from Feb 1993. If you a add pictures I can tell you more, but the Berlin Pro should have SD pickups and probably has no volute behind the nut - these early ones are reputed to have had hand carved necks. It should also have a rectangle case. The 93 Berlin probably has Kent Armstrongs and a Hiscox case .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14589
    tFB Trader
    you are a star @RevMatt ; -  not finalised the deal yet - but yes one is a stop tail with maple leaf inlays on an ebony board and appears to be a Berlin Plus - Berlin only on the headstock facia and Plus on the truss rod cover - With SD pick-ups and a Hiscox case

Not had info on the Berlin Pro yet but appears to have an oblong case

Thanks for your help
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RevMatt said:
    Yep, 2x early Berlins there. The one with the BP prefix is a Berlin Pro (with trem) from Feb 1992. The B prefix is a hardtail Berlin from Feb 1993. If you a add pictures I can tell you more, but the Berlin Pro should have SD pickups and probably has no volute behind the nut - these early ones are reputed to have had hand carved necks. It should also have a rectangle case. The 93 Berlin probably has Kent Armstrongs and a Hiscox case .
    Interesting; must have changed their "style" of serial numbers as my BP from '92 has following serial no: M92000528BP
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 413
    Interesting; must have changed their "style" of serial numbers as my BP from '92 has following serial no: M92000528BP
    Yes they did change the numbering system and this is the earlier version.

From memory:

M was the month (A to M with I omitted) so M =Dec, 92 is the year and BP being the model (Berlin Pro).

• ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1371
    edited October 2018
    RevMatt said:
    The Necks were carved by hand in those days. Mark Bailey learnt his trade at Eggle back in the days when Patrick Eggle owned the company. Mark ended up being responsible for the Neck finishing.

@guitars4youRegarding the Serial Numbers, Patrick Eggle is still alive and kicking, and I imagine might well help if you contact him.
  • Collings said:

From memory:

M was the month (A to M with I omitted) so M =Dec, 92 is the year and BP being the model (Berlin Pro).

Interesting, as my BerlinPro made in December 92, has a lower serial number (528) than @guitars4you model (593) which was made in February the same year.
  • RevMattRevMatt Frets: 840
    Collings said:

From memory:

This is all spot on, except there's probably a number wrong in one of the examples given as the later format (model/month/year/production number) didn't operate concurrent to the early system (month by letter/year/production number/model). In the examples given, AuldReekie's 528 is definitely some time earlier than Mark's 593. The number stamps can look a bit vague so it's easy to get a digit wrong.
  • RevMatt said:
    Collings said:

From memory:

This is all spot on, except there's probably a number wrong in one of the examples given as the later format (model/month/year/production number) didn't operate concurrent to the early system (month by letter/year/production number/model). In the examples given, AuldReekie's 528 is definitely some time earlier than Mark's 593. The number stamps can look a bit vague so it's easy to get a digit wrong.
    Thanks for explanation. MY BP Pro is a superb example; fantastic neck. My tech has made a couple of mods - (a) replaced the Wilkinson trem with a standart strat trem; never liked the Wilkinson as I sometimes use open tunings and (b) added a Levinson Blade VSC giving options of passive along with mid/bass&treble boost options.  Combine these with p/up selector and coil taps and there are 27 switching options and all of them useable!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14589
    tFB Trader
    Collings said:

From memory:

Interesting, as my BerlinPro made in December 92, has a lower serial number (528) than @guitars4you model (593) which was made in February the same year.
    will depend on factory to factory and/or maker to maker - But often serial numbers are either allocated at the point of order, but that doesn't mean the build takes place immediately for whatever reason - The order could be a number of guitars ordered by an international distributor, UK orders via various stockists/dealers, or even via the builder themselves for a forth coming guitar show/trade event etc -ie a number, or a batch of numbers allocated but build starts later 

Or the serial number is allocated at the point of 'build' but some guitars can be built quicker than others - Again for whatever reason