New amp week

shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
I have been rather fortunate this week and two amps i have lusted after for a while have come up locally.

https://imgur.com/gallery/HxaP9xn

The 68 Princeton is a revelation to me as i am used to playing my JTM45. I am sure many in here have got/had these and already love/hate them. 

The second amp is a Tweed Bassman. Its been on my want to own list for a long time and even though i have the Marshall i wanted to try it out. I love it, im sure there is justification for owninng both. The Bassman seems to break up a little earlier than the JTM45 and as it does its got a spongey feel to it which i think is a little different again. 
A previous owner of the amp has installed a master volume but i cant see me using that unless i use it like an attenuator and take just a little bit of sound off rather than trying to drive it at home.

Overall I am more than happy and glad to be back in the Fender amp ownership club.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7796
    Cool
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    A lovely pair, you should be pleased with them.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12415
    Got my 68 in the summer took it to the herts jam yesterday and played it loud and with other instruments for the first time.  Sounded great I'm really pleased with it, bridge pick up on my tele loves it the most I think.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    @ESBlonde thank you very much. I am certainly happy to have some Fender amps back.

@munckee I am yet to try mine out a proper volume but I do look forward to it.

I have decided that the Bassman is as good as any amp I’ve used when talking about clean sounds. It’s a simple set up but it really works

https://imgur.com/gallery/Zc8nCm5
    A slight update.

The Princeton 68 lasted 4 minutes at its first practice session. 

I have no idea why but sure enough it will be getting returned to Richtone this weekend. Essentially there is virtually no sound coming out of it until it’s turned up to 10 and then it’s virtually inaudible. @ICBM any idea what would cause this..... other than shit manufacturing 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72572
    If you haven’t already, check that the speaker plug is pushed fully into the jack. If it pops out slightly the safety switch in the jack will do that.

If it’s not that - have you got another cab you could try? A stuck speaker is possible. If it’s not that then it’s obviously something wrong with the amp.

When it stopped working, was it sudden or did the sound fade out over a few seconds?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12415
    shaunm said:
    A slight update.

The Princeton 68 lasted 4 minutes at its first practice session. 

I have no idea why but sure enough it will be getting returned to Richtone this weekend. Essentially there is virtually no sound coming out of it until it’s turned up to 10 and then it’s virtually inaudible. @ICBM any idea what would cause this..... other than shit manufacturing 
    Ah cr4p thats not what you need.  Hope its something simple.
    @ICBM I shall check the jack plug for the speaker. 

I am am not sure if it was gradual or not as it happened whilst I had two amps on so I noticed it when it wasn’t there. 

Its the the first time I had used it at any real volume so it doesn’t fill me full of confidence in a two week old amp. 
  • munckee said:
    Got my 68 in the summer took it to the herts jam yesterday and played it loud and with other instruments for the first time.  Sounded great I'm really pleased with it, bridge pick up on my tele loves it the most I think.
    Good amp @munckee, bet it sounds good with my Gibson :)

“Ken sent me.”
    The update. It was the power valve in V1 that had gone. Replaced and now it’s working. 

I have to to wonder if it’s not unusual though?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72572
    shaunm said:
    The update. It was the power valve in V1 that had gone. Replaced and now it’s working. 

I have to to wonder if it’s not unusual though?
    Do mean preamp valve? :)

Valves can fail at any time, for no apparent reason, and actually there is a higher failure rate when new than after they've been in a while.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I do mean that..... ha

well, all is well now and the amp works. 

Strangely enough im enjoying the clean tones on the Bassman using a Fender FRV1 and the Princeton for a more driven tone. Odd, I didn’t see that coming. That being said I love the cleans on my JTM45 so I shouldn’t be that surprised