Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So I want to send an amp to Mesa Boogie in the USA

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    webrthomson said:

I want to get it modified to a full IIC+, the only way to get Mesa to agree this has been done is by them doing the mod - which is fairly annoying. I know for a fact that I can get the work done in the UK - Dennis Marshall modded a studio preamp to IIC+ preamp section for me.
    So why not get this one done here too?

In my opinion you’re crazy to ship an amp (even just the chassis) halfway round the world twice just to get a mod done which anyone familiar with it can do here. There is a significant risk as well as cost.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    if it is just a Mod - buy a pedal...

even this one would be cheaper!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bwetsbwets Frets: 162
    Even if you can prove that you bought it before you'll have to pay an admin fee. Plus you will be relying on them sending it back with the correct paperwork (you even have to pay duty on shipping). And that's only the US-UK leg.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    Make sure you discuss it directly with the courier company so that you follow procedure properly, not with a third party courier company.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    What is the benefit of getting it done by Mesa?  It might add fractionally to the value, but I doubt it will add a lot over what it would be if it was modded by a competent tech here.

Meanwhile you will be spending a fortune getting it shipped there and back.  I suspect that Mesa's labour rates won't be cheap either, so you might be spending more on that as well. The extra you pay to get this done by Mesa is likely to be more than any small losses you incur if you ever sell it on.

Add to that the risks of it getting lost/broken by a courier and you would be much better off getting it done here.
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    After the ball ache and expense of sending my eventide harmonizer to the US for repair is never do an amp 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    I sent my modeller back to the US for repair. Wasn't an issue.

But then it did need to be repaired by the US based manufacturer and no-one else really had the know how to do it (failed DSP). And it is quite a lot lighter than a Boogie amp.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    If you aren't intending to sell it, why bother getting it done in the US? Even then the outlay will far exceed the increased value to the amp.

I had my prs dgt matched to current specs (something to do with a capacitor or something, mine was built in 09). I didn't even consider sending it back to Maryland, just found a local competent tech.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • After the ball ache and expense of sending my eventide harmonizer to the US for repair is never do an amp 
    Ah, shite I have to send an H8000 back to the US for repair. Is it really bad?