Gotoh locking tuners.. educate me..

What's Hot
skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
edited October 2018 in Guitar
Been eyeing up a guitar to possibly replace an Ibanez gio.. 

Its this one: https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitars/ibanez-rg-iron-label-dimarzio-fusion-edge-pups-reverse-headstock-northern-lights-burst

I've had the old Gio set up in D standard tuning, and often I'll drop the Low E(D) to C, to play drop C stuff. 

Thats the idea of that guitar really and I'm thinking of replacing it with something better that I'll do the same with. 

Though the Ibanez I'm looking at has locking tuners. Andertons say they are Gotoh mg-t, which means little
to me at this stage!

Its occured to me, I have absolutely no idea how they work, and never having seen any in the metal, wouldnt know how involved they are. 

So my question is, with locking tuners, is it possible to tune a string down on the fly, and how easy is it to do? 

If its floyd rose type impractical then I'll reconsider my options! 

Fanx all. 
The only easy day, was yesterday...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlvinAlvin Frets: 416
    Yes no problem .  Locking tuners work exactly the same as normal tuners with the addition of pinning (locking) the string in the hole .  The idea is they save time on string changes and don't need multiple wraps around the posts .
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2619
    edited October 2018 tFB Trader

Yes...  Exactly what was said above. And Gotoh are a very good make...

I used to think that locking tuners were about stabilising the tuning system  and locking the tuning in place  which I think is an understandable thing to think..  But its really just an easier way to change strings and as mentioned involves less winding which in theory in itself makes it a bit more stable than someone who has like 4-5 winds around a post. Apart from that they are just like any other manual tuner really. Its just you literally clamp the string in place rather than rely on tension from winding.

For a more stable tuning system what you want is a locking nut... Not that ive ever used one of those before.

• GluedtoMusicGluedtoMusic Frets: 74
    skunkwerx said:
    they are Gotoh mg-t, which means little to me at this stage!
    MGT means 'Magnum Lock Traditional', with Traditional meaning that they have the thumbwheel locking system on the back of the tuner to lock the string, the most common or 'traditional' system, as opposed to their original Magnum Lock tuners which have a locking system that automatically locks the string as you tune up, no thumbwheel.
    Supplier of Gotoh, Fender, Gibson, Faber, Schaller, Hipshot, Floyd Rose, TonePros, Graph Tech, Hosco luthier tools and many more.
  • Shameless plug, but you could always buy my Jackson DK2, that's got locking tuners, Seymour Duncan Distortions and it's £199 cheaper...

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/140943/fs-jackson-dinky-dk2-with-duncan-distortion-pickups#latest

Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    Alvin said:
    Yes no problem .  Locking tuners work exactly the same as normal tuners with the addition of pinning (locking) the string in the hole .  The idea is they save time on string changes and don't need multiple wraps around the posts .
    Cheers bud! 

Rabs said:

I used to think that locking tuners were about stabilising the tuning system  and locking the tuning in place  which I think is an understandable thing to think..  But its really just an easier way to change strings and as mentioned involves less winding which in theory in itself makes it a bit more stable than someone who has like 4-5 winds around a post. Apart from that they are just like any other manual tuner really. Its just you literally clamp the string in place rather than rely on tension from winding.

For a more stable tuning system what you want is a locking nut... Not that ive ever used one of those before.

Yeah thats what I initially thought. I used to have a floyd equipped guitar with locking nut etc, and so having heard the term 'locking' tuners, I had ideas that once tuned up to pitch, they became locked in place somehow! 

skunkwerx said:
    they are Gotoh mg-t, which means little to me at this stage!
    MGT means 'Magnum Lock Traditional', with Traditional meaning that they have the thumbwheel locking system on the back of the tuner to lock the string, the most common or 'traditional' system, as opposed to their original Magnum Lock tuners which have a locking system that automatically locks the string as you tune up, no thumbwheel.

Ah I see, I wondered what that thumbwheel on the back did. 
    Cheers for the explanation! 

Shameless plug, but you could always buy my Jackson DK2, that's got locking tuners, Seymour Duncan Distortions and it's £199 cheaper...

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/140943/fs-jackson-dinky-dk2-with-duncan-distortion-pickups#latest

Not a bad looking guitar man! 
    I'm still in the saving stages though. Sort of a premature musing at the moment, but I appreciate the offer :) 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2619
    skunkwerx said:

Rabs said:

Yeah thats what I initially thought. I used to have a floyd equipped guitar with locking nut etc, and so having heard the term 'locking' tuners, I had ideas that once tuned up to pitch, they became locked in place somehow! 

For further illustration...  The thumb wheel moves the inner post of the tuner up and down which is what clamps the strings in (on most of them anyway).

Like this

[https://i.imgur.com/46JCXKq.jpg

• I have found that, when using locking tuners, on the higher strings a couple of wraps around the post is still a good idea, otherwise the way the compression pin kinks the string - plus having the string immediately bent across the hole in the post against the full tension of the string - makes string breakages more likely, especially when stretching them after fitting.  Not sure if this is a common experience.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    If you are using heavier strings for down tuning just check the string hole diameter. Gotoh"s web site has them. I've a few pairs of their top locking tuners which are great.