V-Mod Pick Ups (Am. Pro Series)

What's Hot
Does anyone own an American Professional Strat? Is it just me or do these pick ups sound less desirable when compared to Fat 50's etc? I've watched a few demos and they just were not what I was expecting, I wasn't that impressed. I have not heard them in the flesh though.

While we are at it, what are your fave Fender Strat (Factory Fitted) pick ups? How do Fat 50's,Custom 69's, Tex Mex/Specials et al compare to each others sound?

Thanks
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    For Fender USA stuff the Pure Vintage 59s are my current favourites. For Custom Shop, it’s a wider field - depends more on the instrument itself and what you want out of it. I like Custom 50s as much as I like Ancho Poblanos for different reasons. 

Fundamentally, in isolation, they all sound like Strats though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I had a US Pro Tele with V-Mod pickups but changed the bridge to a Bare Knuckle Boss as it lacked any real body. The neck pickup was alright though but nothing special.
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1207
    Just my opinion, but the V Mod pickups are a step back from the previous US Standard range offerings. 
  • Thanks chaps, although I did expect a lot more people on here to own an Am Pro Strat and actually have formed an opinion on these pick ups.
  • I have a G&L Legacy USA with the V-Mod set in it. Sounds friggin' mint if you ask me. Definitely nicer from memory than the USA Standard 2004 I had previously - they just sounded weak.
    I have the original Legacy pups though, and I might put them back in as they work better with the bass & treble controls apparently. Also, as I'm vain, the colours match the rest of the hardware better.....
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5869
    Necro-Bump

I keep digging further for different demo vids and I have to say that some vids are warming me to these pick ups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjK46UJ6yvg

And even though I don't speak a sodding word of German, I love this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovKQ4bxXzWQ

That Black Strat is wonderful, it's amazing how much better Black looks with a simple change to the shade of Pickguard and Pick Ups/Knobs etc. I've always hated them with White Guards and Knobs.

I tried one in Richtone too so I know they feel comfortable, neck not a 1000000 miles away from the Modern C of the old Am Std. I have to admit that even in the flesh I did think the Pick Ups sounded great and still Strat-like.

There's less discussion than I'd expect about the V-Mods on Gear Page and Strat Talk, the Jury is still out it seems.