Brighton GAK visit

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5279
    I visited GAK for the first time recently whilst delivering an amp to @dangriffiths ;  found the staff surly, and quite unhelpful so bollocks to that shop
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex the retail manager on guitar side is great - others vary wildly 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6690
    Next time anyone is down this way, let's meet for a beer. 
    @Jetfire, GAK, Mudpie, Brighton Guitars (all in North Laine) are best avoided on a Saturday afternoon. Badlands on Preston Road will probably be OK as due to its location it's less of a shop that you'd casually pass by on a shopping trip. You may find a nice guitar or two in Woody's Music on Oxford Street, just off London Road. 

Have fun. 

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    Alex the retail manager on guitar side is great - others vary wildly 
    Was he previously at GuitarGuitar in Epsom?
  • Jimbro66 said:
    Alex the retail manager on guitar side is great - others vary wildly 
    Was he previously at GuitarGuitar in Epsom?
    Not sure I think he was at Fender prior
  • I love GAK. Last time I visited J Mascis was in there browsing the second hand section. I was too star struck to ask for an autograph. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jetfire said:
    ...whats North Lanes? Should I be worried?
    The North Laine and the area around there where GAK is located is a student/hippy heaven.  Even shop is veggie or vegan, or selling some weird alternative voodoo.  I love it, great cafe there called waikikamookau,in which i have had many a breakfast.  

JamesOB1 said:
    I love GAK. Last time I visited J Mascis was in there browsing the second hand section. I was too star struck to ask for an autograph. 
    Last time I was there Marcel Marceau was doing a signing of his latest CD. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    I bought my DGT from GAK at the beginning of the year. Alex was very nice to deal with; helpful, and patient. One or two of the others are so so, but overall I like the shop. Last time I visited Joe Bonamassa was there buying a '63 (I think) 335.

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    merlin said:
    ?  Did he mime the signing and then find himself trapped inside the shop window?
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3012
    Jetfire said:
    So planning a trip to GAK in Brighton on thw weekend as part of a stag do weekend (my bass player and a few of the party are musos. Is it worth the trip? We'd be there friday day time and not shit faced or handcuffed to a midget.
    Jetfire, if you're able to get to Mudpie I was wondering if you could take a look at this for me and cast your expert eye over it (for basics, like does it look VFM, age, condition, is there anything obviously wrong with it). It's a leftie so not sure if you'd be willing to give it a quick trial?

https://www.mudpiemusicbrighton.com/solid-body-guitars/epiphone-les-paul-100-left-hand

This would be my first electric so wouldn't really know what I was looking for, just want something to 'get going' with and been looking for something in the £100-£200 region, preferably a 2nd hand Epiphone.

I did notice this too, which looks very nice, but the same principles apply as above and I really would need to get in the Mrs good books to convince her to part with £400+

https://www.mudpiemusicbrighton.com/solid-body-guitars/gibson-les-paul-left-hand

No need to make a special journey or anything but if you're in the shop then I'd appreciate it!  Cheers.

Jimbro66 said:
    merlin said:
    ?  Did he mime the signing and then find himself trapped inside the shop window?
    Yeah. During the signing (where he signed his autograph with a mimed pen, he sat on a mimed stoll until a BIMM student pushed him over. How we laughed!